Peasant and Princess

(The pair pass through a door and slam it shut. Diss. to ext. gardens at night. A shadowy figure walks through. We see it is Kat in disguise. She reaches the palace wall, then begins to climb it. She is tugged from behind by Pump and Girlfriend.)

Girlfriend: Please don't leave, princess. The kingdom needs you.

Pump: The Spooky Month won't be the same without you.

Kat: Oh, I'm sorry, guys. But I can't stay here and have my life lived for me. I'll miss you.(She begins to climb again, and is helped up by Girlfriend and Pump, who begin to whine and whimper.) Good bye!

(She disappears over the wall. Cut to daytime on the street Pico and Skid are up to their capers again. They are on top of the awning of a fruit stand.)

Pico: Okay, Skid. Go. (Skid dips over the edge and looks at the Proprietor.)

Proprietor: (To passing crowd) Try this, your taste buds will dance and sing. (Skid grabs a melon and hangs there, distracting his attention.) Hey, get your paws off that.

Skid: Blah blah blah!

Proprietor: Why, you! Get away from here, you annoying brat! (He grabs the melon away from Skid. But in the foreground, Pico dips down and snatches another melon from the stand.)

Skid: Bye-bye! (He zings back up. The Proprietor takes the melon to the front, where he places it on top of a stack. He looks confused, like he has just done this.)

Pico: Nice going, Skid. Breakfast is served. (Pico and Skid, on the roof break open the melon and eat. We see Kat walking through the street.)

Shopkeeper 1: Pretty lady, buy a pot. No finer pot in brass or silver!

Shopkeeper 2: Sugar dates, sugar dates and figs! Sugar dates and pistachios!

Shopkeeper 3: Would the lady like a necklace? A pretty necklace for a pretty lady. (Kat is charmed by the action, but is startled by a fish thrust into her face.)

Shopkeeper 4: FRESH FISH! We catch 'em, you buy 'em!

Kat: I don't think so. (She backs away, but bumps into a fire eater, who is startled into swallowing his fire.) Oh, excuse me. (He gulps, then belches fire from his mouth. Kat is disgusted. He is pleased and taps his stomach. Pico sees her, and a strange look comes over his face.) I'm really very sorry.

Pico: (He's obviously deeply in love with her.) Wow! (Kat pulls the hood of her cloak over her head. Skid sees him and jumps up on his shoulder, waving his hand in front of Pico's face.)

Skid: Uh-oh. Hello? Earth to Pico. (Kat stops at the fruit stand and sees a young homeless child reaching for a piece of fruit. She picks one up and gives it to him.)

Kat: Oh, you must be hungry. Here you go. (The boy runs off.)

Proprietor: You'd better be able to pay for that.

Kat: (Mystified) Pay?

Proprietor: No one steals from my cart!

Kat: (Politely) Oh, I'm sorry sir. I don't have any money.

Proprietor: Thief!

Kat: Please, if you let me go to the palace, I can get some from the Sultan.

Proprietor: (Harshly) Do you know what the penalty is for stealing?! (He takes her hand and pins it down on the table, intending to chop it off.)

Kat: No! No please! (The sword drops, but his hand is stopped by Pico's.)

Pico: Thank you, kind sir. I'm so glad you've found her. (To Kat) I've been looking all over for you.

Kat: (Whispering) What are you doing?

Pico: (Whispering back) Just play along.

Proprietor: You know this girl?

Pico: Sadly, yes. She is my sister. She's a little crazy. (He circles his finger around his ear. She is shocked. The Proprietor grabs him by the sweater.) 

Proprietor: She said she knows the Sultan!

Pico: She thinks my little brother is the Sultan. (Skid is picking a pocket. He hears this, then straightens up. Kat, playing along, kneels and bows to Skid.)

Kat: Oh, wise Sultan. How may I serve you?

Skid: Well, blah blah blah blah.

Pico: Tragic, isn't it? (He leans forward, picking up another apple from the cart with his foot.) But, no harm done. (Walks over to Kat.) Now come along sis. Time to see the doctor.

Kat: (To a camel standing nearby) Oh, hello doctor. How are you?

Pico: No, no, no. Not that one. (To Skid, whose pockets are bulging.) Come on, Sultan. (Skid bows to the crowd and everything he's stolen from the cart falls out.)

Proprietor: Huh? What is it? (Skid picks up what he can carry, and the trio run off.) Come back here, you little thieves!