Introduction Icons

Running home in the pouring rain with AirPods in while listening to Alec Benjamin's album, These Two Windows, blasting in my ears seems like the perfect pastime. Right? Nope! I am trying to reach home before my mother and stepfather, Richard, gets home.

At a height of 5'5 and a mid-sized body, you would think I was fit enough to be in some type of sport to make the outrageous sport of running easy. Wrong again! And this type of physical exercise is horrifying. Of course, I know my fair share of martial arts courtesy of my best friends, Derek and Seon. They are more like my brothers.

By the time I made it to the rusty steps of my house, I could see my mother's and step-father's car. I'm pretty sure I heard my heart stop but it definitely was not because I missed them.

I pause my music in the middle of Jesus in LA and carefully hide my AirPods and phone under the hidden compartment of my bookbag. I actually made the compartment. It has a steel box where I hide anything important I get from school so it doesn't break when my "parents'' throw it across the room or get discovered when they ransack my bag. It's hidden on the back of the book bag and most of the time my "parents" are hopped up on drugs they don't think to look for. So most of the time they just stick their hand down the main pocket and don't check anywhere else.

I slowly turned the knob, praying to God that my twin sister, Delilah, went to her friend's house like she said she would. I would honestly do anything for her. She is the light in my darkness. When we were little it was us against the world.

I had always been the smart twin and talented twin but not many knew that growing up. Up until the age of 6, I used to pride myself in my grades. I loved learning anything and everything.

Delilah was more of an athletic one. Always applying for dance classes and she loved to sing. She was always so kind and bubbly. She had such a bright aura around her. With thick, luscious black hair and bright green eyes to match her personality, it was a no-brainer that she was the most popular and prettiest girl in school. Obviously since we are identical twins I had the same thick black hair but my eyes were light brown and green. Growing up that wasn't normal so Delilah took the spotlight.

I used to be more on the chill side. In the background. I loved to sit in the shade on a nice summer day and learn new languages or instruments. We both had an incredible talent for music. But a few things changed on the day of our 6th birthday.

On that day, I was waiting for my mom to tell bae goodnight. She wasn't the most affectionate person. Never have I ever gotten a hug from her but she still gave me the basic necessities to survive. By that time she had been dating Richard for two weeks. My sister and I never knew about him and I wish it stayed that way.

That night for me felt a lot different. My mom came in and started to brick through my hair. I was sitting up on my bed with a blanket protecting me from the cold. Her warm hand in my hair caused my eyes to get heavy and my senses dulled. I didn't even realize Richard walked into my room until I felt a sharp pull in my hair. I would have screamed if it wasn't for my mom's hand on my mouth.

"Now listen very closely,"

I could feel his oniony breath fan my face. "Let's make a deal.

You give me and your mother full freedom to do what we like to you and you won't say a word to anyone. Not even your sister. Or else we might have to find someone else to fulfill our needs, won't we?"

Now I wasn't the brightest bulb so I knew that it was my job to protect my sister. I couldn't let anything happen to her.

I slowly nodded my head and that felt like I was signing my soul to the devil.

Because of the deal, I made with my guardians. I am now permanently attached to them until I can get me and Delilah to a safe place. I don't regret a thing.

"Honey she's home!"

I cringe at my mother's excited voice. She reeks of alcohol and I can sense the empty syringes filled with heroin I'm going to have to pick up in the bathroom before Delilah comes home.

"Great observation Rachel," I reply sarcastically.

The smile on her face is wiped off for a few seconds until her creepy grin is back and sends shivers down my spine.

"WHERE WERE YOU SLUT!"

My mother yelled while stalking over to me.

"School," I muttered trying to make my eyes a void of emotion before my stepfather came downstairs.

As soon as I finished talking I felt a hot searing pain on my cheek. I looked up, used to this already, and stared at the wall trying to go through the musical notes on Beethoven's Fur Elise. I feel her grab my hair and I start to disassociate.

....
Well that was my first chapter! Tell me what you think!
Is it too short?
Too long?
Is it too rushed?
Make sure you drink tons of water and have a wonderful day!❤️