Chapter 23

What I expected, even I didn't know. So many things could have happened the very moment I decided to let my blood spill. Yet for all the risks, all the terrifying scenarios that course through my infuriating overactive imagination, it couldn't possibly have dreamt of what was happening before me now.

The Matriarch. The unkillable, untraceable silent predator that in name alone is capable of instilling fear in the hearts of many.

"I don't... want... to."

Such a powerful being... and she was moving away from me with quivering steps back, hiding her face in a downcast gaze. Her lofty grey hair with strands poking out, her skin paling to a sickly pure white.

This was not how I had envisioned her. I especially did not envision having a conversation, because now I had no clue what to say.

I attempted a previous question.

"Can you please tell me where I am?"

Again, indecipherable mutters under her breath, leaving me without even a sliver of an answer.

Confusion was gradually starting to overtake fear.

"Why don't you talk to me?" I asked, feeling calm for the first time ever since entering the inescapable black void.

Calmness that was easily toppled over by a stronger, more harsh voice that answered me, which certainly wasn't hers.

"She isn't supposed to," the voice said.

I turned to look behind me.

Another person had entered the fray, another woman, bearing an uncanny resemblance to the only other person in here with me with the only thing setting them apart was that her hair was a shade of black as opposed to grey. Her face twisted into an unsightly scowl, baring her fangs for all to see.

The other Matriarch. Twins...

Just the sight, the very air surrounding her cold, harsh demeanor, was enough to smother my voice into silence once more.

"Sister..." whispered the first Matriarch.

"Adalia," said the second, her lips pursing and her nostrils flaring. "What did I tell you? You promised me, didn't you?"

The first Matriarch, Adalia, trembled before speaking. "Terestra... was..."

"He isn't Terestra!" She shouted, causing Adalia to flinch. I felt a wave of hatred swim through me as her eyes momentarily flickered to my direction before setting themselves back onto her sister. "None of them were!"

"But sister... said..."

"I know what I said," she interjected, her footsteps echoing loudly as she marched aggressively towards her sister, passing by me with another loathing stare.

"You keep your mouth shut," she told me.

No way was I going to go against an irate vampire's order. I happily complied.

Anger peaked, the way her eyebrows flicked upon reaching her sister. I saw her draw a hand, pointed razor-sharp claw-like nails at her fingertips, then in the tense silence, her hand shot across Adalia's face with a magnifying, resounding slap that drew blood from her cheek.

"You nearly frenzied going after that succubus last night, I told you, you can't be out!" She shouted.

Whether or not Adalia felt the slap, she didn't show. Still maintaining the same dreamlike, dazed-out focus as she stared indifferently at her sister.

"Terestra..."

"I told you I'd handle the food," she said through gritted teeth. "I already got one here - but no! You just had to sneak out, had to abduct another one! He isn't Terestra!"