Chapter 11

I woke up, bleary-eyed, in the early rays of morning to the sound of birds chirping in the air, the ceiling fan whooshing down at my face, and the glare of sunlight blinding my eyes.

Also Ash was staring down at my face, which obviously did not scare the absolutely shit out of me.

"ASH!" I sat upright with a start, clutching my chest. "Oh man.. Ash... personal space. What's up?"

That was when I heard a muffled knocking sound from nearby.

"Master," Ash said, her tone with a sense of urgency. "There's someone at the door."

I saw the apprehension in her eyes, and instantly I was wide awake. Didn't know anyone well enough in the city to warrant a visitation from any of them. So whoever was at my door, it couldn't possibly be anyone I know.

A delivery, maybe?

Another knock sounded. I got out of bed.

"I'll go have a look," I said to Ash as I made my way to the front door.

"I'll follow," She said, coming to my side and suddenly brandishing her sword out in front of her.

Okay, that's a bit overkill. If I open the door and she immediately reacts, I don't wanna have to explain to the police why the postman was skewered like a kebab on my doorstep.

"No, Ash," I told her. "Put it back."

"It's a necessary precaution, master."

"A precaution, right, well, when you answer the door in your world, do you always do so with a sword behind your back?"

"Yes."

Oh well... guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

"We don't do that here," I said, lowering her sword with my hand. "It's probably nothing, trust me. Just put it back, wait inside, I got this."

Ash stared at me and saw my small smile of assurance, evidently, she didn't quite agree with my lax procedure, nevertheless, she still went ahead and stashed her sword back behind the couch, honoring my wishes like the knight she was, bowing her head slightly in compliance.

"As you wish, master."

That's three 'master's in one minute by my count. We really gotta work on that whole thing.

For now, though, the ever-growing knock on my door beckons my attention.

"Coming!" I yelled.

With one hand I combed my bed hair in an attempt to look somewhat presentable, while my other hand was already reaching for the door handle, swinging it wide open for the knocking to finally cease.

As expected, the woman with her hazel-brown hair tied into a bun, who was also dressed quite smartly in a ladies' uniform, was not a woman I recognized one bit.

Stern black eyes on an even sterner face, she gave the vibe of being somebody you do not want to mess with, despite looking like she was still in her early twenties, which she probably was, given her youthful appearance.

"Good morning," I greeted her, slightly unsure why she, of all people, was banging at my door this early in the morning. "Can I, uhh - help you?"

"You can," she responded, and immediately the tone in her voice further solidified the impression that she was the no-nonsense type. "I have a few questions I'd like to ask you."

"Questions, right... and you are?"

"Irene Madison, TAPD," she held out a badge in front of me.

"TAPD? You're a police officer?"