Chapter 8

📌 Stirling, Scotland, UK

As I browsed through my pictures of Sacramento, my phone started to ring, then I saw Brad calling me through Snapchat, seeing that I messaged him to call me after I added him.

"Hey, are you missing my beautiful voice?" Brad said after I picked up, then I playfully rolled my eyes.

"In your dreams, Brad. I was actually hoping that it was my sugar daddy calling," I said a little too comfortably, which worried me a little, but before I could take it back, Brad played along.

"Darling, I have been paying for your expenses during the entire day. If it means anything, I am your sugar daddy."

"Yeah, with the money I gave you."

"Shit. I was hoping you'd leave that out."

We both laughed, relieved that we were able to understand each other and not take each other too seriously, then he cleared his throat.

"Seriously, though, how are you? You wanted me to call; is everything alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I have unfortunate news, though. My dad didn't allow me to come with you tomorrow. Aside from the fact that you're a complete stranger to him and that he's looking out for my safety, he also wants me to make amends with my siblings first."

"Oh, that's a shame. Although, I hope you manage to do what he asks you to. Did you at least give your brother his cupcake?"

"Yeah. Not sure if he ate it, though. I just put the cupcake by his door, knocked on it, then left before we could talk. I really don't want to face any of my family at the moment; I don't know what to say to them."

"Isn't that...bad, though? Your brother may think that your apology is insincere."

"You have a point. But, I don't want to talk unless I'm 100% sure that they'll understand that I feel lonelier whenever I'm with them, and the fact that they keep negatively comparing me to my dad doesn't make any sense."

"I can see where you're coming from, but you have to know that there's no harm in trying to talk, Cai. At least you were mature enough to make a move to communicate; if they won't listen or empathize with what you have to say or what you feel, then that's on them. It's your responsibility to say what you honestly feel about them, but then it's also their responsibility to understand where you are coming from."

"You're right. But, either way, I just feel like it would be a waste of time if I talk to them only to have nothing in return. I'd rather bury my problems to the ground than have them get thrown back to my face."

I sighed as I brushed some of my hair back, then Brad stayed silent.

"I have spent my entire life with Papa. Them comparing me to him should be a compliment, seeing as he's an angel to me, but it's not. Oslo said that I was faking being nice, just like Papa. What does that even mean?"