Chapter 17: Unraveling a Story

Taylor sat on the sofa for hours that evening, contemplating what he could honestly do about the situation he was in. He wasn't sure when he'd fallen asleep, but a shiver shook his body at some point, bringing his mind back to the present and drawing his tired eyes open. 

He felt a faint weight in his lap and, evidently, had unconsciously wrapped his arms around it at some point. 

You're so cold.

As if he'd actually heard his thought, Caleb lifted his nearly see-through head, his eyes invisible, but clearly seeing. 

Words stuck on Taylor's tongue as he slowly brought his hands up to cup that faded face before him. There was no expression, or even much detail anymore, but it was still definitely Caleb. 

"I'm... not sure how I can help you anymore."

He felt terrible as he whispered those words. 

Of course, he knew that Caleb wouldn't be able to respond anymore, so he simply returned his arms to around him and gently guided his body to rest against his chest. The chill from his ethereal form was formidable, though, making him shiver again within seconds. 

Wait a minute. 

Taylor looked around the room, but Nikolai was nowhere to be seen. 

"Nikolai? Adon?" he called as he hugged Caleb a little closer. 

Adon had been freezing when he'd first been possessed, but before Nikolai stole his body, he seemed to have gotten used to it. Maybe I can help Caleb if I can figure that out, too. 

"Hey Tay, what's up?" 

Wait a second. That's not Nikolai's voice. 

Turning his attention toward the stairs as he rested his chin atop Caleb's faded hair, Taylor watched as Nikolai's body appeared from the hole in the wall leading to the basement. 

They had been down there again... but that voice. 

"Yeah, I'm a bit surprised, too," Adon said from Nikolai's mouth as he walked into the kitchen and grabbed a few sandwiches from the counter that he must have made previously, then filled two cups with warm water from the tap before bringing everything over to the coffee table in front of Taylor. 

It took him two trips, but he didn't seem to be in a hurry, or stressed out. 

I'm so lost. 

Feeling another chill go through his body, he felt Caleb try to pull away from him, but Taylor only hugged him closer with one arm while reaching to the side with his other one. Grabbing the blanket beside him, he got it situated around them both. The added warmth made him sigh with relief, and after a few moments, Caleb relented and relaxed against him again. 

When Adon finally came and sat down beside him, he offered Taylor a sandwich. Having missed quite a few meals, he didn't hesitate to take it. Within moments, the two had devoured the entire plate of four roast beef and turkey sandwiches. 

"Here. You're going to need this," Adon said as he handed Taylor one of the glasses of warm water. 

Why not use the cold water dispenser from the fridge? 

When Adon grinned through Nikolai's lips, Taylor realized two things. His previous question he was going to ask was likely answered by the glass of water in his hand... and Adon figured that he would somehow try to get Caleb to possess him. 

After chugging down most of his own glass, Adon turned his body partially toward him, leaning his side against the back of the couch. 

"As long as I drink a lot of warm water and eat mostly hot food, I'm usually pretty good. I also have to eat a lot more than I had before, since my body is working overtime to stay warm, but I've gotten used to it. The hot showers definitely help, too."