Chapter 18: Ring

"Everyone remain calm," the exorcist said as he grasped one of the bands of black beads he had wrapped around his left arm. 

Taylor glanced back at him briefly and noticed his lips moving, but whatever he was saying was too quiet to decipher. Since he didn't seem like he was going to hurt Nikolai, he returned his attention to the problem before them. 

His hands tensed at his sides, but he stood his ground, being the closest to the awakening banshee. 

"Nikolai?" he asked calmly as the banshee's head slowly lowered and his eyes opened. 

Yep, he's there now. One of his eyes is a different color. 

"He's definitely there and has partial control," the exorcist noted, earning a nod from Taylor. 

Both of the police officers had their hands on their guns at their waist, but Taylor quickly shook his head at them. 

"If you shoot him, you'll kill them both." 

His words didn't calm them enough to remove their hands, but at least they weren't drawing their weapons yet. He returned his attention to Nikolai, but something was off. He wasn't moving or trying to attack anyone. There was still a low rumble coming from his slightly parted lips, but he seemed unfocused. 

"They're talking in their mind," the exorcist said, making Taylor look over his shoulder at him. 

The man was smiling, seemingly much more at ease with the situation than anyone else. 

"Your friend is very strong to be holding his own with this banshee. I gave him a little bit of help by draining some of his body's strength, which will handicap the banshee for the time being, but it will also help him hopefully calm Nikolai down some." 

Taylor was skeptical. 

"They aren't exactly friends. I don't think calming is the emotion that's occurring between them right now." 

The exorcist chuckled quietly and smiled. 

"It is very hard to understand a banshee because of their inability to handle their thoughts and emotions, but that banshee was clearly asleep when we entered his home. His territory. He's angry with us being here, absolutely, but he's also torn between that emotion and trying to understand why someone he had finally managed to trust enough to actually rest, allowed such people into his very limited space." 

He... trusts Adoni?

That was definitely not something Taylor would have guessed judging from how aggressive he'd been with the poor guy. 

"Tay... lor." 

Blinking at his name, Taylor refocused and took a small step forward. That voice had sounded mixed, as if Adon had started speaking, but Nikolai had taken over at the end. 

"Yes? Can I help you guys somehow?"

Adon nodded very slowly, as if he was getting permission for the movement before making it, then making sure that he didn't make any mistakes when executing the action. 

"He's hungry and cold," he finally said, each of the words in his own voice this time. 

Taylor hesitated, confused. He'd expected him to say that Nikolai was pissed and wanted them all to get the hell out of his house... but he said that he was hungry and cold? 

"May I go retrieve some food and a blanket for you?" the exorcist said with a relaxed smile. 

Adon appeared to be lost in thought for a moment before he nodded again. The exorcist took that conformation and returned it with his own nod before slowly making his way up the steps. Taylor watched him until he had disappeared up the stairs, then returned his attention to Adon.