Thirty-Nine

It's like I'm watching everything in slow motion and it takes me a solid five seconds for my brain to catch up. I scream, rushing forward to where Malachi collapsed.

"Malachi!" I cry but I never make it to his side. The sounds of my screams echo long through the trees are cut off when Caspian pulls me to him, one hand around my middle and the other covering my mouth.

I can taste the blood on my lips, feel it smearing along my cheeks as I continue to scream against his hand.

"Shh. Shh," he coos in my ear sweetly, rocking side to side as if we were lovers enjoying a dance, "I've got you now, Amelia. It's okay,"

I mumble a flurry of curse words, thrashing in his hold, trying desperately to break free and get to Malachi. But I'm not strong enough.

"I've missed you my Luna," he presses a soft kiss against the side of my head and I whimper, tears steadily streaming down my cheeks as I stare at Malachi's chest, trying to see if it's rising or not, "I won't lose you again,"

Complete panic washes over me as Caspian starts to walk away with me still in his arms.

I can't leave him here alone!

My screaming increases only serving to get more of Malachi's blood in my mouth and as useless as it is, I try to bite him. Anything to get him to let me go.

I'm flailing like a fish out of water and one of my elbows catches him off guard. His grip loosens and he drops me unceremoniously to the ground as he cups his eye.

I don't pause, ignoring the sore elbows and small sticks and pebbles now embedded in my skin as I scramble to Malachi on my hands and knees.

"Please be alive, Please," I sob, my hands slipping in his pool of blood but before I can touch him, Caspian has his arms around me again, pulling me roughly away.

"No! Let me go!" I claw at the ground in a desperate attempt to away, "Malachi!"

"We don't have time. We're going home," he growls, his fingers turning to claws, but I hardly notice them ripping into the fabric of my cloak, cutting into my skin.

Adrenaline is an interesting thing. In another similar situation, I would be terrified, cowering away and following his lead just to stay safe.

But right now, all I can think of is helping Malachi. I couldn't care less about my safety or fears.

Every self-defense lesson I had gotten while at Larkspur comes to my mind, but it all feels so useless right now.

My back is pressed to Caspian's front, so I can't make sure my feet are firmly planted nor can I throw a solid punch. Kicking isn't doing me much good and I can only think of one thing to try.

Feeling a sense of bravery (or stupidity) that will probably get me killed, I shift in Caspian's arms and begin clawing at his face like a cat.

In terms of overall damage, my nails don't compare to what a wolfs claws can do, but they're leaving red marks on his skin. I think I can even see blood in some places.

"Fuck!" small satisfaction runs through me as my feet hit the ground, but disappointment is quick to replace it.

As I try to scramble away, I'm pulled back by the cloak. His claws are stuck in the fabric where he had been cutting in!

My feet leave grooves in the dirt as I pull against it, trying to get enough force to tear the fabric completely. My fingers fumble to unfasten it from my shoulders, but Caspian grabs my hair with a roar of anger, pulling me back to him.