zero. (the one with the story)

the land meets the sea
chapter zeroone sided

the land meets the sea chapter zero — one sided

trigger warning: abusive content ahead

━━━━━ ˚ . ✦

JUNE 10th, 1999

RUBY WAS ONLY five. No five year old should have to go through that. The first time her father beat her, was when she was five. He would always yell or sometimes scream at them, but it never got physical. No one ever thought it would turn to violence. Not even their mother, but she did nothing to stop it. Not a scream, not a shout. She just let it happen... and she enjoyed it. The whole time she was smirking, as if she had wanted it to happen.

Her siblings were staring at the scene with absolute terror in their eyes. Jade was crying, sometimes wincing as if she had felt it to. Jasper was consoling a shaking Amme. She was terrified. Scared of what would happen next, what would happen to them.

No three year old should have to think that. They all knew that if they interfered, they too would be hit. So they just stood there in shock. Not knowing if it was a one time thing, just a sudden outburst of pent up rage that he took out on his eldest daughter. Or if it would be a reoccurring situation.

February 3rd, 2003

Little Ruby and Jade sat amongst the other children at the table, sponging up all the information the teacher was spewing. Jade was always by her side, sitting at the table laughing with Scott, Stiles, and the occasional Lydia; who only ever spoke to the twins while seated. What felt like a normal day was truly far from it. It was soon to be confirmed the worst day of the young girl's life.

The Sheriff, Stiles' father, walked into the classroom while the kids were learning math and asked to speak to Ruby in the hall. Ruby followed, seeing as though it could be about their parents.

"Hey, Ruby. Look, what I'm about to tell you may be a little hard for you to understand, but I need you to try your best. Okay?" Ruby nodded her head, but not before giving a side glance to her sister beside her.

"We- we found Jade earlier today. She had been beat pretty badly and she wasn't conscious so, we brought her to the hospital. Melissa did everything she could. Unfortunately, Jade didn't make it. I'm sorry." Noah couldn't make it halfway through his first sentence without his voice cracking. He had always been close with the Reign twins, for them and his son were inseparable, along with Scott. He considered the girls the daughters he never had, and to find one of them bloodied and beaten broke his heart.

Ruby gave Noah a weird look, as if not believing him. How could she? Her sister that he claimed to be dead was standing right next to her. "What'd you mean. She's right here..." She trailed off as she looked to her right, only to be met by a bloodied and beaten Jade.