Chapter 2: The Bust

Chapter 2: The Bust

Sam's POV

By the time I arrived at the 21st Precinct my stomach was in knots and I regretted eating the cream cheese bagel I had at home. I wasn't always an anxious person. That came out in me after... highschool. Highschool is hard for anyone, but for me it was traumatic. Don't go there Sam. I learned to cope with it. I did have first day jitters though and that's what I chocked this up to being. Jitters. I practiced some box breathing techniques and pushed through the churning I felt my stomach doing on the inside. I wasn't nervous about working with the Intelligence Unit as a whole; I was more worried they would look at me as just the Police Commissioners daughter and think they did not want to work with me or give me desk duty because they were afraid to put me out in the field. I'd had both things happen before so I was a little gun shy in that sense...

Showing up late was the one thing I didn't want to do and now glancing at the clock; I'm already five minutes late. Great. Just had to pray no one noticed.

I hopped out of my Suburban and grabbed my bags and slammed the door shut. I made my way down the cracking sidewalk to the front of the building, cool autumn wind hitting me in the face as I quickly picked up my pace. I tried not to run but ended up doing so only slowing to a brisk walk when I neared the building.

Hank Voight was head of the Intelligence Unit. Everyone knew him. My father worked with him for a long time. Consulted him on various cases. Even golfed with the guy occasionally. You're not a cop nor a true criminal unless you've heard of Hank or encountered him. We've all heard stories about him being a crooked cop, working with dealers on the street and pocketing loads of money, but you never know what to believe coming out of people's mouths. I heard he did a stint in jail because he got into it over his sons DUI with a firefighter at House 51. Things just got out of hand and his son ended up in jail anyway. That's what my cousin Kelly told me happened.  I was willing to give the guy a chance though. Trying not to judge a book by its cover and all. Practicing what I preached and all that.  When he interviewed me he seemed like a pretty tolerable person to work with. Plus, my father picked his unit out of everyone's. There has to be a reason behind it, right? Other then no one else wanting me. Or maybe that's all it was. I'd never know I feared. Right now I was going with my gut and if he was okay in my fathers book, then I'd consider him okay in mine until he gave me reason to change that standing.

"What's up, Willhites?" I heard a man's voice yell followed by children laughing as I walked past a car and headed up the steps inside the precinct.

Men and woman in uniform were bustling in and out of the building about to work on the cases they had or head out on patrol for the day. Radios crackled on and off at the charging stations. The excitement swelled inside of me as I stood in the middle of the lobby a little unsure of where to go. Any nervous energy I was carrying on the way here dissipated.

Police stations were my home. I used to play in interrogation rooms as a kid. I remember one time I got in trouble for talking to people in the drunk tank with my brothers Mike and Brett. We were slippery little suckers when it came to running around a precinct. Half the time we weren't supposed to be there but our mother would drop us off and leave so that's where we'd stay until my father got off shift.

People bustled past me as I approached the front desk. A tall woman with peppered hair and a less than pleasing expression on her face noticed me and looked up from her paperwork and stared at me expectantly. While her expression was less than pleasant she had kind eyes. In fact it felt like I knew her somehow. I just couldn't place how or where I knew her from. I mean I knew her from my interview, but it felt like more.

"Sargent Platt, nice to see you again." I said warmly giving her a small smile. Her expression never wavered as she rolled her eyes and removed the glasses she'd been wearing.