Ch 1: You came like a dream (1)

One autumn morning, a will was unveiled by the richest man in the Ederka Empire, Reinhardt Duncan.

Paragraphs 1 and 2 of the will came as no surprise. It was as everyone expected.

However, the last paragraph was enough to make everyone who learned the contents want to grab the back of his neck.

Who is he?

Reinhardt Duncan is called the Empire’s greatest madman, no, geek.

The last paragraph of the will said—

[10% of Duncan’s property will be taken by the cat ‘Ruby’ and will be inherited by its owner.]

—It was a very strong line.

The next day, the white fur and blue-eyed Persian cat set out to pick up its owner.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

The sun was shining brightly in the hallway. The late afternoon of autumn was relaxing and calm as usual. The door slid open through the slowly rippling silence, and a girl poked her head through the crack.

Fortunately, no one was there.

As if reassured only after checking again, the child quickly tiptoed out of the kitchen.

In the Ederka Empire, illegitimate children existed but did not exist*. And Ronell Artes, the illegitimate child of Count Artes, did not exist.

(TL/N: It means that illegitimate children were treated as if they didn't exist.)

The servants of the mansion disappeared because they pretended not to hear her and ignored her.

Ronell carefully walked out on the thick carpet. She wanted to run out the door, but she had to put up with it.

You can’t make any noise. You know what’s scarier than being treated as a ‘ghost’.

If I catch their eyes

“Hey, you idiot. I told you not to run.”

—Ronell turned her squeaky head in surprise. The boy standing on the stairs was staring at her with a disapproving gaze.

“I-I’m sorry... Master Lloyd.”

“They say illegitimate children are stupid, so they can’t eat.”

I can’t run.

Ronell couldn’t help but bite her lip. As Lloyd quickly wrapped his head around preparing to throw a thick book, laughter fell from above.

“Aren’t you gonna avoid it? You’re so stupid.”

You’ll get even angrier if I avoid it...

Before she knew it, the book that left the boy’s hands drew a parabola. Ronell froze without being able to avoid it, and the book that flew vigorously-

Crash!

—It broke the vase that had been placed on the console of the hallway with a loud noise. Ronell was astounded as she opened her big eyes wider. It was not long before the two children could hear the sound of shoes coming from across the hallway.

Walking on the thick carpet without hesitation.

There’s only one person in this mansion who can make such a loud noise. Ronell despaired while Lloyd scoffed. The sound grew louder in the intersecting joy and sorrow. Soon, the Countess appeared and grasped the situation by looking at the shattered vase, the fallen book, the convulsing illegitimate child, and her laughing son.