Ch 10: You came like a dream (10)

Ronell reflexively covered her mouth and swallowed the scream. Suppressing her voice was one of her specialties.

She chewed up and swallowed the shout that almost came out, then blinked twice. As she carefully looked up, the owner of the sudden voice finally came into her sight.

The man who suddenly appeared in the pale moonlight-filled hallway had an annoyed expression on his face.

And he looked paler than the moonlight.

His skin was so white that his blue blood vessels were highlighted, and his green eyes looked really cool. His long, straight fingers lightly swept the black hair that tickled his forehead.

The man tilted his head. Suddenly, a faint smile settled on his lips.

“It’s you.”

“…Yes?”

“‘Duncan’* is right.”

(T/N: He meant that she really was a Duncan.)

Ronell tilted her head, but the man only snorted.

“I can see why she suddenly barged in and made a big deal out of it.”

Ronell slowly took a step back. It was strange. She would usually get instinctively frightened by others, but that man felt uniquely friendly.

I don’t think he’s gonna hit me.

Her senses whispered softly. Ronell stopped moving backwards and stared at him with meek eyes.

“That… who are you?”

“Teriot Duncan.”

D-Duncan! If so.

“Miss Acilla and…”

“I’m her father.”

Really? Ronell opened her eyes wide. Except for his black hair, they don’t look alike at all.

“No, we don’t.”

As if he read her mind, Teriot muttered indifferently.

“She looks more like her mother than me. Why are you up at 4 in the morning, Kid?”

“…I can’t sleep. I don’t want to sleep… I’m sorry.”

I think I’ve caused him trouble. Stuttering out an apology, the man casually waved his hand.

“You have nothing to be sorry for. By the way, what were you looking for?”

“How did you know?”

Ronell’s eyes widened, and Teriot stared at the surprised child. He had never dreamed that such a naive and ignorant child would come out of the Duncan’s bloodline.

“You were looking around.”

“Ahh.”

“What were you looking for?”

“Ru… by.”

What about that fussy, devilish cat?

Such a question naturally popped up, but Teriot quietly glanced away. He saw a hallway with no one but him and the little one.

Well. Ruby, that cat would roam around late at night.

“Do you want to find it together?”

“I’m going to find it tomorrow morning… just in case I wake people up.”

“They’ll never wake up even if you try to yell here.”

It’s soundproofed. That’s the downside.