Wednesday December 16th, 22 Days Before 18th Birthday

"How's it going with Indy?"

The steam from my tea moves lazily.

Curling around itself and lifting into the air.

I don't know how to answer the question.

I glance over at Nuka.

He's sitting next to me, his arm over my shoulder again, my leg propped up on the coffee table and a book open on my cast.

Shakespeare.

We're reading it together.

But now that question.

Hanging in the air.

Like the steam from my tea.

At least I have a proper cup this time.

Tea is better in a proper cup.

"Iago?"

Nuka's brows furrow as he looks at me.

"I don't know." I sigh and try not to shrug my broken shoulder. "We've spoken, he's happy I'm ok, he says he's not mad but he's distant. I know it was going to happen eventually. The growing apart, but I didn't expect it so soon or quite so..... abruptly."

"Give it time Little Genius. He cares about you." Nuka looks down at the book again.

His hand squeezes my shoulder gently.

I settle into his side more.

It's so comfortable.

"So, the team was wondering if you'll come to our game tomorrow night?"

I chuckle and looking pointedly at my arm and leg casts.

Nuka follows my gaze sadly.

It still bothers him.

"We talked about that; we have a few ideas. If ya come early, we can get ya set up in a good spot close to the team box. We all really miss ya. Ya could come to the game and then to dinner after? Just because ya have a few busted limbs doesn't mean ya can't participate like ya used to. Plus, it's the last home game before the New Year and ya won't be able to come to a game for another few months. So.... What do ya say?"

"I think that's a great idea!"

We both jump.

Mom's here.

She looks excited.

She comes into the room, straightening.... Well, nothing.

She's just moving things around really.

Picking things up and then putting them down an inch to the side.

Why is she here?

Why is she so excited?

Why does she keep looking between Nuka and I like that?

"We can't keep Iago cooped up forever. It would be good for him to start getting out again." She grabs my tea, cold and only partially drank. "We'll speak to Horatio before you go Nuka, get it all figured out."

Then she's gone.

Like she was never here.

Nuka looks like he's trying not to laugh.

"Well, it seems like you're coming." He chuckles suddenly, "I like your mom, she's less.... Intense than all the men in your family."

I just hum an agreement.