Part 10

A soft whisper on her ear and a kiss on her cheek made Camila slowly wake from her sleep, her eyes opening as she watched Shawn walking into his bathroom in just his boxers. These last few weeks had gone by so quickly and yet had been one of the happiest moments she had ever experienced in her life. Now that summer was a week away from ending, she almost wished she could stay in this reality forever.

 “ Come on, Mila.” She felt another kiss on her forehead before being pulled to sit up on the bed. “ We have to leave early if we want to do this.”

 “ Just five more minutes, baby.” She whispered with her eyes closed, gasping when she felt Shawn picking her up and dragging her out of bed.

 “ You’re such a kid when it comes to waking up.” Shawn complained, finding her some clothes she had left in his bedroom at some point.

 “ I’m five years older than you.” Camila said proudly, walking into the bathroom and not bothering to close the door as she peed. “ You’re the kid here.”

 “ Yeah, those were very childish things I did to you last night.” He said quietly, but she still heard it and threw the t-shirt she was wearing at him as she walked out of the bathroom.

 “ When have you become this cocky?” She rolled her eyes as she put on her clothes, fixing her hair in the mirror as he watched her from the bed.

 “ What can I say? You bring out the best parts of me.” He laughed, trying to be quiet because it was still dark outside and his mom and sister were still asleep down the hallway.

 Once the two of them walked silently downstairs, Shawn made them some coffee to go and Camila found them some snacks. As Shawn drove his car out of the driveway with Camila in the passenger seat, the sky was still dark like they had planned and the streets were completely empty. They had planned a few things for this last week of summer and waking up early to watch the sunrise from a tourist spot just a few miles away from their houses was one of them. Of course they had already been there a few times over the years, but the idea of doing this together was different. Camila knew this would be one of the many incredible memories she would have from this summer next to Shawn.

 “ Music?” Shawn suggested as he drove, his hand disconnecting from hers to hand her his phone. He had a smile on his face as she unlocked his phone as if he was expecting her reaction about something. Camila wasn’t sure what it was, but when she opened Spotify and looked through his playlists, she noticed one that wasn’t there the last time. It was named after her and it had a yellow heart and a seashell emoji next to it. “ What is this?” She asked, looking at him before opening the playlist.

 “ What?” He pretended he didn’t know what she was talking about, focusing on driving.

 “ You know what.” She smiled and shook her head. “ You’re just as bad of an actor as your sister. You know that, right?”

 “ How dare you offend me like that?” He laughed with her, discreetly looking at her as she finally looked at the playlist he had made thinking of her.

 Camila couldn't help the big smile on her lips as she looked through the songs Shawn had chosen to put on the playlist. Songs they had heard together throughout summer, songs that reminded them of when they were younger and songs she had mentioned were her favorites. There were some she had never heard of before and when she asked him about it, his answer was enough to make a happy tear roll down her cheek.

 “ Those are the ones that remind me of you, mostly the lyrics.” He told her right before they reached the lookout and he parked the car. “ I didn’t show you before because I wanted you to hear them all together.”

 “ Shawn!” Camila took his face in her hands and kissed his lips softly. “ That’s such a thoughtful thing to do. Thank you.”

 “ You haven’t even heard the songs yet.” He chuckled, placing a strand of her hair behind her ear. “ What if they suck or the lyrics are just not romantic at all?”

 “ I doubt that.” She laughed, realizing she was so focused on seeing everything he had put on that playlist that they hadn't even heard any music on their way there. “ Come on.”

 Camila dragged him out and they settled against the car’s side, his arms around her and his chin on her shoulder as they waited for the sun to reveal itself. Shawn had finally put the playlist he made for her on, letting it play softly behind them since there was only one family there with them and they were far enough not to be bothered by the music. Camila had her camera in hand, capturing the most beautiful images as soon as the yellow and orange shades of color painted the sky and reflected on the ocean just beneath them. She didn’t take pictures for too long, though. After convincing Shawn of taking some pictures of themselves, she just let herself relax into his arms, sharing this fascinating and powerful experience with him.

 “ Can you believe in a week we’re back into our routines?” Camila whispered, hoping he would catch the meaning behind her question.

 “ As much as I loved this whole summer with you, I can’t wait to have you in my life for real.” He told her exactly what she wanted to hear, surprising her yet again at how well he could read her emotions. “ I can’t wait to introduce you to all of my friends.”

 “ Me too.” Camila confessed. “ Do you think they’ll like me?”

 “ It’s impossible for anyone not to like you.” Shawn said, kissing her shoulder. “ You light up every room you walk into.”

 “ Not everyone sees me the way you do, Shawn.” Camila giggled, feeling a little shy over his words.

 “ Trust me, they do.” He turned her around in his arms, running his thumb across her cheek. “ You’re special, Camila.”

 “ Stop making me blush.” She laughed again, resting her face on his chest and kissing his skin through the material of his shirt.

 “ But I love seeing you blush.” He laughed against her ear, holding her tight.

 “ I hate you.” She mumbled against his chest.

 “ No, you don’t.” He teased her, kissing her neck.

 “ You’re right. I don’t.” She said, whispering her next words. “ I love you.’

 Shawn lifted his head and looked down at her, watching as her eyes met his and she got on her tiptoes, kissing him and whispering against his lips.

 “ I love you, Shawn.” She repeated her words. “ I don’t know why I waited so long to tell you this.”

 “ I was going to give you this first.” He said, reaching his hand in his pocket and showing her a delicate necklace with a small seashell as a pendant. “ But you were faster than me.”

 Shawn pulled Camila’s hair to the side and closed the necklace around her neck, her eyes admiring in awe the perfect seashell he had chosen to replace the one she had lost.

 “ I love you so much, Camila.” He told her, his eyes locking into her with so much intensity. “ I always knew there was something about you that pulled me in, but I wasn’t really sure what it was until I saw you again after all these years. You went from my first crush to a real friend, then a stranger that was always there in the back of my mind, and finally the one person I can’t seem to live without.”

 “ You’re making me cry.” Camila whispered as his hand swiped a few tears from her face. “ I never thought it would be you, Shawn. But when I look back, it all makes sense.”

 As the sun kept shining behind them and other people started to crowd the place, Shawn and Camila shared one more of many kisses they would share in a lifetime. This one, however, was filled with unspoken words of their love and everything they had already lived together and were about to share in the future. It was the type of kiss Camila would never forget and would replay in her memories for years, feeling all he wanted her to know just by the touch of his lips.

THE END

____________________
  _________________

A/N: Thank you to everyone who read this short story and I hope you liked it! 💖