Diagnosis 40: Magnetic Therapy

Magnetic therapy is a pseudoscientific alternative medicine practice involving a weak static magnetic fields produced by a permanent magnet. It is similar to the alternative medicine practice of electromagnetic therapy, which uses a magnetic field generated by an electrically powered device.

"So... how are you adjusting in Manila?" I ask Gabby as I slip her sterile gown on up to her shoulders for her first surgery— her baptism in this hospital.

Ang bilis ng panahon. Dati lang sabay kaming mag-scrub ni Gabby para mag-assist ng surgeons noong students pa kami. Ngayon siya na ang ina-assist ko. I feel so nostalgic all of a sudden, and it's making my heart burst to see her finally standing in the Operating Room of her dreams.

"Kung makapag-ask ka naman akala mo hindi ako dito nakatira since birth. I was just gone for 8 years, 'no. And your condo is a really big help because I'm already familiar with it since college. But you know what... I couldn't sleep comfortably in your bed for the first few days." She says, securing her gloves in place.

"Why? What's wrong with the bed?" I suddenly feel alarmed, thinking about what happened to her when she was last alone in a condo. I have told her a lot of times that she should just stay in my house with me and Sushi but she always refuses.

"I don't know... I'm just wondering if... you know... your bed, um, is it.. clean?"

My brain lagged for a moment, not catching her meaning at first, but I almost throw the towel clamps on her way when I finally do. "I had the all the furniture changed! Even the bedsheets are new, you ungrateful bitch!"

"Hey! I was just asking! Afraid lang naman ako kasi baka I'm lying on a bed stained with... you know... certain body fluids."

I hiss. "Do you want me to make you sleep on the streets?"

"Char lang. Love you! I love your condo as in! Like super love talaga!" She chuckles, taking the towel clips from me and adjusting the drapes on the patient's head.

Before she starts with the incision, she introduces herself to the team again. "Before we begin, I'd like to introduce myself once more: my name is Dr. Gabby Hernandez, and I'm quite excited to be working with all of you. I'm hoping we'll get along well because we'll be seeing each other every day. Let us begin our battle against the God of Death, shall we?" She smiles.

I've never seen Gabby work as a surgeon before, and this is my first encounter with the incredibly competent surgeon who also happens to be my best friend. I'm extremely happy with her accomplishments that it gives me thrill just by watching her operate.

I've always assumed she'll be the best cardiac surgeon I know, but now that I've seen her work as a neurosurgeon, everything seems to click in place. She was born to be a neurosurgeon.

After ng surgery sabay kaming lumabas ng OR para kumain sa cafeteria ng hospital. The procedure lasted several hours, and as medical professionals, we're already used to not being able to eat for long periods of time.

We're walking side by side on the hallway with her arms linked to my own when her hold suddenly tightens. "OMG, ex alert! ex alert! On your left 11 o' clock. Don't look, just walk straight!" Gabby speaks in hushed tones, almost panicking, yet her voice is so loud that I'm sure everyone in the corridor heard her. I haven't had time to react because my eyes are drawn involuntarily, like magnets, to the pair of eyes I despise.

As if he's attempting to consume me, his gaze burns into my face.

"I told you not to look!" Gabby hisses, pulling my arm to get my attention. "Girl, save your heart. As much as I love the version of you with a guy, I hate what he did to you! My gosh, if I could kill him with my bare hands, I swear, I freaking would! But sad to say we can't kill a co-worker. I think that's against the hospital's policy and the contract I signed in. I'm really tempted to drill a burr hole on his skull every time I see him. God, I'm such a violent person! But whatever! I hate him to the core! He's the worst of the worst. The father and founder of all jackasses and assholes in the world. He's an ass! I'll start addressing him Dr. Ass from now on. That name fits him perfectly."