TWO

The beds of her finger nails ached from biting at them. No one had stopped her from doing it, not like how her papa would. Music played through the speakers softly and Mila rested her head against the window. The awkwardness of the car ride was making her anxious. They had been driving for twenty minutes now and no one had said a word. 

Pepper drove with Tony in the passenger seat. Natasha and Steve took up the two middle seats leaving Sam and Mila in the back. The hum of the music coming from Sam put Mila a little more at ease. Her forearm burned but she did her best to ignore it. Her eyes trailed the beads of rain down the window, picking one in her mind to win the race. She guessed wrong but let out a stifled laugh. Sam turned to look at her with a smile on his face.

As they got closer to Avengers Tower, Mila could feel her heart hammering in her chest. The six of them exited the vehicle once they pulled up to the entrance. Steve and Sam carried the bags behind Mila and the rest. She felt someone push her chin up, "Close your mouth kid or you're going to catch flies," Natasha smirked. She was in awe, this place was incredible. 

The modern and slick interior made it look like an office building until you got to the top five floors, all of which were meant for the team. Pepper very kindly showed Mila around the building while Steve and Sam put the bags away and Tony and Natasha talked. 

"And this is the lab. Tony and Bruce spend most pf their time in here so if you ever need one of them, check in here first," Pepper said as she pointed to the science lab. It reminded Mila a bit of the labs in Siberia, only this one had a warmer more welcoming feeling to it. Pepper was walking faster ahead of Mila so she jogged to catch up with her. "Here is the main kitchen/living room area. This is the hallway down to the gym and training room and here is the hall down to the sleeping quarters," she continued. Mila followed Pepper into a room at the end of the hall. 

"This is your room. I apologize if it's not really your style, I only found out you were coming twenty four hours ago so I did what I could. We can change it tomorrow if you want-" Mila interrupted Pepper from her rambling. 

"It's perfect. Thank you Pepper," Mila gave the woman a genuine smile. Pepper flushed red before speaking again.

"Well I'm sure you must be tired. I'll let you be and I will see you in the morning," she added before leaving the room and shutting the door behind her. 

Mila wasn't lying when she said the room was perfect. The beige walls really brought out the green leaves that hung down from the shelves full of plant pots. Small strings of lights were hung on the wall above a double bed covered in a white duvet designed with different flowers and plants. Two large bookcases stood at one end of the room, full with copies of the most famous literature and the newest releases. A small wooden desk was placed in front of the large window overlooking the skyline of New York City. To top it off, a small mural of butterflies stickers on the wall next to her bed. Everything was perfect and beautiful.

The young girl made her way towards the bed. Sinking into the soft mattress, Mila could feel herself getting emotional. Tears sprang, pooling around her eyelids. This was the life she wanted, a safe, normal life, a home. And here she was, without her papa. She let the tears fall, no one was watching her anyway. Mila let herself cry until she grew tired and curled up under the comforting covers of her new bed, in her new room. In her new life. 

***

The next morning Mila was up just after seven and had already eaten breakfast, which consisted of half an apple and a slice of toast. She had made her way to the training room after that and four hours later that was were Steve had found her, punching the hell out of a punching bag.