THREE

"Not entirely human. What are you talking about Tony?" Natasha asked frustrated.

"I'm not sure yet. We're going to have to run more tests. Physical tests but I don't think Mila is comfortable with that", he answered, running his free hand down his face. Seeing the confusion on the others faces he continued. "Her old doctors didn't treat her right during physical examines". 

"Oh I think I'm going to be sick," Pepper mumbled. Natasha placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. 

"Do you think she knows about this?" Steve asked, turning to face Natasha. Letting out a deep sigh, she shook her head. 

"I don't think so, she's never mentioned anything about it. Come to think about it, she rarely mentions anything about her time there. She doesn't even talk about her dad," she stopped herself from talking after seeing Steve tense up. 

"From what I've heard, it was traumatic. I don't expect her to want to talk about it but, her dad. She doesn't say anything about him?" Bruce asked. The adults in the room were quiet. Mila never talked about Bucky. It probably didn't help that no one had asked her to talk about it. Maybe that's what she was waiting for, someone who wanted to hear her talk. 

Natasha shook her head solemnly. Tony and Bruce took a closer look at Mila's lab results and gave to a conclusion. "Until we figure out more about this, we don't say anything to the kid. Act as though she has no clue, because, from what we know those monsters probably never told this kid the truth. About anything." Everyone silently agreed. 

***

5 months ago, Bucky Barnes had been integrated back into the world. Without any idea of who he really was. A new part of him had begun, just as he had let the biggest part of him go. He didn't want to leave his daughter, he never imagined himself ever doing that. But he did. And he would never forgive himself for it. 

Mila haunted his dreams every night. He would see her cry and hear her yell at him. He say her killing people in rage and holding a gun at her own head because of him. Nothing made those nightmares go away. The day he left her by the river was the worst day of his life, the worst pain he had ever felt. 

The long trek to get where he was now almost didn't seem worth it. The boat over seas, the train rides and long walks were painful and hard to accomplish. In all honesty he had no idea where his final destination was, just far away from the hands of Hydra. 

That is how he found himself in the small town of Portree, Scotland. Bucky had only been here a few days, how he was in everyplace he stayed. Lay low for a few days and then on the road again. The town was small and just off the coast. He woke up every morning to the smell of sea salt and the breeze from the ocean. His liking towards the town heightened when he realized just how chilly it got, giving him a normal excuse to wear long layers to hide his metal arm. In the other towns he stayed in he got weird looks when he would go outside. Wearing long sleeve shirts and jackets when it was plus twenty outside was not normal. 

Part of him longed for his daughter, knowing how much she would have loved his place. The colourful houses and shops, the ocean and the nature. He had even seen a few butterflies around. But he couldn't feel that way, not when he knew that Mila was sitting around a dinner table eating good food surrounded by people who could give her a good life. He knew she probably hated him, he knew she would never want to speak to him again, that's what happens when you abandon your child. Bucky needed to learn to accept that Mila would never forgive him.

This particular morning was a hard one. Nightmares plagued his mind constantly, resulting in him not wanting to sleep. The lack of money he had didn't help either. So once again for breakfast, Bucky found himself munching on a piece of toast, a boiled egg and black coffee. The dingy little hotel room he was staying in was plain and boring, one bed, a bathroom and a small kitchenette, but he was okay with it. Anything was better than the rooms in Siberia. 

Times were tough, his mind was torn and his heart fractured. All though he would never admit it, he needed Mila. She kept him together and on his feet. Mila was the best part of his life, and now she was gone, and it was all his fault.

After today he would be heading off, to a new country, a new town, a new fake life. That's how it was now. Running and hiding. Maybe he would have a bit more luck in Romania, he hoped.

***

Sitting alone on her bed, Mila watched with excitement as she stared at the TV. It still fascinated her and she loved it. A few weeks had passed since she arrived and she was learning to adjust. People came in and out of Stark Tower mulitple times a day. Steve and Sam would stay for a few days at a time and then would leave. Bruce spent most of his time in the labs with Tony which left Mila by herself a lot. Some days she enjoyed the quiet, others not so much. 

Leaving Mila by herself could be dangerous, self-destrcutive almost. She had managed to steal a lighter from a junk drawer in some random room on the third floor. Mila had only used it once before throwing it into the back of her closet. Guilt, shame and self hatred consumed her the second the flame licked her skin. 

Fighting the urges she had everyday for the soothing feeling, Mila had gotten into watching football,  not American football the other one, the one you play with with your feet. She enjoyed the games and watching the stands flood with joy when a team scored. The amount of teams there were made it hard to choose a favourite but she liked watching them all. Finding little things to keep her happy and grounded made things a lot easier living without her papa. 

Steve had been in to talk to her a few times, asking her about Bucky. She figured out that he knew her papa before he was the way he is and it brought her some comfort. Knowing that he didn't suffer his entire life. At times hearing Steve speak about Bucky and ask questions about him made her feel important and cared for. Other times she felt uncomfortable and used, Mila knew Steve would never try to intentionally make her feel that way but she couldn't help it. 

A knock at the door startled her. She quickly muted the TV and responded. "Yeah, come in". Sam walked into the room carrying a large cardboard box. 

"Hey kid, I brought something for you. I thought you might like it," he walked over to her bed and placed the box next to her. Mila poked her head around to see it. "Its a gaming console, you play video games on it. It's pretty cool. Want me to set it up," he said pointing towards her TV. Mila nodded with a small smile on her lips. "Cool," he added and began setting up the console. 

After an hour of trying to teach her the basics, Mila and Sam were underway with their third game of Fifa and surprisingly, Mila was winning. "Wooo hooo!" Mila cheered after scoring once again. She danced around the bedroom, laughing and pointing at Sam.

Shaking his head and biting back a grin, Sam mumbled, "Who would've thought you'd be so competitive kid". Another knock on the door made them pause the match. Natasha and Steve strolled in carrying two boxes. Sam cheered and Nat just rolled her eyes. 

"Pizza anyone?" Steve shrugged, holding off a grin. Mila just looked at the adults around her, she felt good here, she felt safe and cared for. This is were Mila felt the happiest, playing video games and eating pizza with these people. She never wanted this night to end.

Hey guys! I know it's been forever since I updated but a lot has been happening. I went for a long time looking for a job to have two at the same time so I have been swamped. Thank you for sticking out and waiting for this though, it means a lot. The next chapters are going to get longer so stay tuned for that. Can't wait for you to see what I have in store for Mila!!

-Emma:)