FOUR

Nightmares still haunted her mind every night. Sleepless nights spent tossing and turning, sweating and screaming. Mila tried to pretend they didn't happen but the dark circles under her green eyes said otherwise. The adults around her tried to talk to her about the dreams but she didn't open up, not even to Nat, which everyone thought was weird. 

During the day, Mila acted like a regular teenager. She was moody and hungry, she was fun to be around and then she wasn't. No one would even think she had anything but a normal childhood by the way she acted. Deep down though, everyone knew she was different. That's why, after five months of living at the Avengers tower, they decided to enroll her in school. 

Natasha was a bit skeptical about the whole thing but seeing the way Mila had grown and adapted to life in New York she wasn't worried about how the teen would get along in school. Sam and Steve were on board after talking to Natasha about it and Bruce was the one who came up with the idea. Pepper said that it made sense but ultimately it was up to Mila. Tony was the only one opposed to the idea of the ex-assassin attending high school, although he gave no reason why. So after explaning to the girl what school even was she had a few days to make her decision.  

Twisting the sliver rings on her fingers, Mila made her way into the kitchen. The decision she had been given had been weighing her down more than she let on. It was big and different and Mila didn't know how to feel. Sure she had been taught a lot about the outside world in the months she had been freed but this was something much different. 

Pouring herself a glass of orange juice, she listened in on the regular morning meeting that was held at the tower. Mila wasn't allowed in on the meetings but that didn't stop her from eavsdroping. 

 "Its her decision in the end. If its something she wants to do, I'll set it up", Tony spoke to the group. Mila placed her ear against the door. She knew they were talking about her, it was a regular occurrence nowadays. She scrambled back towards the kitchen when she heard the scuff of chairs against the floor. One by one they all walked out. Bruce and Tony engaged in conversation, Sam, Steve and Clint chatted about some sports team and Nat and Pepper spoke in hushed voices. 

 "I want to do it. I want to go to school," Mila interrupted. The adults all froze, previously unaware of her presence. The awkward silence that filled the room made her uncomfortable, she began playing with her rings once again. 

 Sam stepped forward slightly. "You sure kid, you don't have to if you don't want to. We don't want to make you feel like you are pressured into anything".

 Mila took a sip of her orange juice, as if it were to give her confidence. She nodded her head, placing the glass on the counter. "I'm sure, besides it gets quite boring being stuck in my room all day long," she chuckled lightly. Everyone laughed with her. 

 "Okay, I'll set it up Mila". Tony smiled at her before walking off, leaving everyone to either talk to Mila or continue on with their day.

***

Walking up the steps of Midtown High, Mila began to regret her decision. Playing with the straps of her back pack, Sam noticed her nerves. "Hey look kid, I get you're nervous and that's okay, but I can guarantee that its not going to be as bad as you think it will be. I promise". He stuck out his pinky finger, leaving Mila confused. "You're supposed to lock them together," he chuckled. 

 "Oh right," she laughed nervously, "I knew that". They connected their pinkys before continuing  into the school. Just to play it safe, the adults decided that it would be best if Mila went by a different name at school. So as weird as it was to sign the papers as Natalie Buchanan, she knew she would get used to it soon. 

 After getting her schedule and information, Sam knew it was time to leave. "Well good luck on your first day of high school, Natalie" he smirked as he waved. Mila just laughed and waved back. She watched him leave, twirling the rings on her fingers. Turning to face the long, daunting hallway, she thought to herself. I have been in shoot outs and fist fights, how hard can high school be? Poor Mila, she had no idea what she was getting herself into. 

 Two classes into the day and she was already dreading it. No one wanted to speak to her, even when she asked for directions to her next class. People looked at her funny, being the new girl halfway into the year was not the easiest thing to be. Only one person had spoken to her, a short blonde girl who said her name was Betty, pointed her in the right direction of the cafeteria. The busy room was full of loud kids shouting and throwing things at each other. Mila scanned the room before finding the line the led to the food. Taking the last container of grapes, she heard some swear under their breath behind her. 

 "Oh um, you can have them if you want, they're not my favourite anyway". She had no idea what came over her to talk to the girl behind her but something just came over her.

 "No it's okay, you can have them", the curly haired girl spoke. Mila cocked her head to the side slightly, confused. She had offered the girl the grapes and now she didn't want them. 

 "Uh, okay, I'll keep them. Thanks." She smiled softly before turning around. trying to find an empty table. Holding the tray tight to her chest, smoothly dodging flying bread rolls and footballs, she finally found an empty table at the back of the cafeteria. 

 "Hey, sorry to bother you but we were just wondering if we could sit at this table with you. Well not with you, with you just next to you" a boy blabbed on. Mila sat with a confused look on her face. Another boy hit him in the stomach with his elbow, muttering dude under his breath. "Sorry, I just mean could we also sit at this table?"

 Mila studied the boys for a second. One was had dark curly hair and was wearing a science pun t-shirt, the other had his hair combed over onto one side, a hat resting in his hands. "Sure, if you want," she pointed to the empty space at the other side of the table. The two boys sat down opposite each other quickly, mumbling a small thank you before engaging in a conversation.

 When the lunch bell rang, Mila began packing up her things. The boys from before tapped her lightly on her shoulder. "Hi, um we just realized we never introduced ourselves and well we've never seen you around before so I take it that you're new here". Mila nodded. "Okay well I'm Peter and this is my friend Ned". Ned waved sheepishly towards the girl.

 "I'm Natalie. It's nice to meet you Peter, and Ned".

Haha I'm back. I will be real I was not expecting to be gone for this long but here we are. I have a break from school now so I'm crossing my fingers that I have more time to write. Side note- I have seen No Way Home twice now and it gets better everytime. Please do not spoil it for those who have not seen it yet. Anyway I am glad to be back and happy to write about Mila again.

-emma:)