Good Tastes and Better Tastes

Due to various policies and other tricky formal arrangements, Special Divisions made it quite clear that they would not be done with Chuuya Nakahara until they saw to it that he was safely escorted to a hospital.

So safely escorted to a hospital Chuuya was. There was a lot of fussing about and sympathetic talks about how to due to the intense strain, he was likely to never walk again. 

Not that any of this mattered much to him. He knew very well that the second he got out of here, Mori would be able to use something from the shadier side of the medical world to fix him right up.

So, at the moment, everything was actually quite peaceful.

That was of course, until one bright morning, the doors to his hospital room were flung open so wide they nearly fell off their hinges.

At first, Chuuya thought it was a trick of the light. Because last time he checked this was not central Yokohama and the time was also not noon. But when the figure in the doorway grinned, knife sharp and taunting, there was no mistaking Osamu Dazai.

Chuuya sat up at once, elbow propped on sanitized-white pillow cushions and hospital gown moving around his small form.

"Hello Chuuya~" Dazai said.

"Security." Chuuya said.

Dazai jumped, bravado vanishing in an instant as he rushed over into the room and covered his partner's mouth.

"Hey, hey don't do that," he said, "I'm kinda-"

"Banned from here?" Chuuya said, pulling Dazai's hand off him with ease. "Yeah, Sakaguchi told me you stole an entire storage cabinet worth of antibiotics this one time."

His eyes flicked up and down over Dazai. 

He looked much more put together since the last time Chuuya saw him. Clearly having found the time to take a shower, gather himself, and probably convince one of his coworkers to buy his groceries or something else of that ilk.

He poked him experimentally in the side with his free hand, "Did something for that stab wound?"

Dazai grimaced, "Yes but it hurts when you do that."

"Good," Chuuya hmphed. Then, using the wrist he still had in his grip, yanked Dazai closer, faces inches apart as he glared at him, "What the hell, you bastard, I thought we were having a moment!"

Dazai faltered. And then slowly, unbelievably, an embarrassed little blush began to creep up his neck. 

Chuuya grinned.

Dazai, realizing that his partner wasn't actually mad at him, brightened at once.

"We were, we were!" he said with a wave of his hand, making his way to the window and whisking open the blinds. 

Bright sunlight streamed in from the glass, "Really Chibi, we were. I don't hate you one bit. In fact, you look quite adorable all hooked up to those machines and stuff."

Chuuya snorted, crossing his arms across his chest, 

"You really couldn't have waited just a bit? I saw the police report, they didn't even need you. Akutagawa apparently followed Atsushi when the kid got kidnapped and freed him along with the rest of the Detective Agency."

"Ugh, I know," Dazai said, turning back around and rolling his eyes dramatically, "Makes me look stupid, doesn't it? Looks like that Mary Shelley never had any real leverage in the first place."