one

I no longer have the privilege of freedom. Of showing my face, my strength, or identity. 

     I lost that freedom to myself. people search for me, but not out of love, pride, or fame. But out of fear, uncertainty, and loss. I'll never gain the freedom of chance, love, or a forever in this life again. Which was well deserved after killing five hundred and four people. Freedom is out of my reach.

________________________________________________________________________________

        The chilling air came up behind me, barley picking up the weight of my thick, dark hair. My seventh Autumn was finally here, the sun no longer shining as bright from my seventh Summer. My seventh year, alone. Maybe even my last. I figured after only being alive seventeen years, but only truly living for seven of them, maybe eight years was enough of them to truly live. I've seen enough of the world, lived through enough of it, more than I deserve. Eight is enough.

     Don't get me wrong, I love living, loved where I was, and who I am. I loved the freedom I had with myself, even though I don't get to experience freedom with the rest of the world. But things are getting tiring. The weight of the world and everything I've done was becoming to much to carry. My purpose in life had been delivered through seven years ago. I got rid of a lot of evil that day, but when doing so, I became apart of that evil. So, eight years sounds fair to me.

     The large pine tree, with leaves so emerald green, were standing tall in front of me as I lay at the base of one. Eating some berries, content with looking at the beautiful colors of the forest and sky. The long grass, wildflowers, and leaves were all swaying with ease, feeling the same breeze. My head was propped up by one of the large roots of one of the pines, I lay with my legs crossed over the other, berries staining my hands a deep violet. I breathed in, my eyelids fluttering shut. This was happiness, or as close as I could get. 

     I listened to the breeze, imagining it as if it were waves crashing against the shore, instead of breeze swishing through the trees. I miss the ocean. I breathed in once more slowly, first the smell of pine and fresh air, next, the pungent smell of wolf. I tensed up, I haven't seen another wolf like myself in years. 

     "We have to be careful, we don't know what types of vile creatures lurk around here," My ears perked up at the voice, his voice full of disgust.

     "Anderson wants is to expand our territory, the creatures will have to clear our anyway," replied a deeper, more monotone voice than the other.

     "All there is here, is woods, it'll be harder to move people here and build civilization," declared the higher pitched voice.

     "Alpha's orde-" the deep voice halted, "Did yeh hear that Jer?"

     "What?" Replied "Jer", the high voiced guy.

     "Someone's breathin', listenin' to our private conversations." 

     "Wait, stop being such a loud breather and let me listen," Jer retorted sassily. 

     "Dude, I know what I heard, I'm calling Anderson down."

     "Really? You can't handle a single rogue?" Jer asked teasingly. The deep voiced guy grunted in response. My back was facing towards the tree, I could tell they were behind it because I could hear their voices. They were definitely wolves, so I know they already knew where I was too.

     "Honey," Jer continued, "We can hear your heart pounding, we know your behind that tree. Make it easier for all of us and show yourself." 

     I decided I would go the only way I knew how, up. Climbing the tree was easy, I've done it for the past seven years, and I did it when I would hide in my childhood. I got up to a high enough branch, which was about twenty feet from the ground, and looked down, now seeing their faces looking straight back up at me. 

     One was taller than the other, he had dark skin, curly black hair, and kind eyes. His lips were full and pretty, and his hair was shaven at the sides, but he had a small afro growing at the top. He was wearing gray shorts and a simple white tee shirt.  Whoever his mate is, is lucky. The other guy was only an inch or so shorter, with lighter skin, light brown hair, that was much longer than the other guys. He was wearing a red long sleeve shirt with a v-neck line, and black shorts. His hair was hanging down to about his chin, curling at the ends. 

     "You're dead," said the taller one, with the deeper voice. 

     "You're on the ground," I replied.

     "Once our Alpha gets here, and smells your rogue stench, you're dead," He said, trying to look fierce. What he didn't realize is death held no value in my life, dying didn't affect me because the difference between living and dying didn't matter to me. 

     "Okay," I shrugged, laying down on the branch I was on, my hair falling off the branch and dangling so they could see. I picked a leaf off the branch and started to poke crescent shaped holes in it with my nails. That's when I smelt it. Suddenly, I rose up into a sitting position and searched for it. The smell of pine and woods wafted up to my nose, making me go a little crazy. I forced myself to lay back down on the tree, not looking down at the guy when smelled so good.

     "Anderson is here," Said the deep voice.

     "Who is that Cal?" Said an even deeper voice, liquifying my stomach, making it seem like butterflies. 

     "Some dirty rogue," explained Cal, who I assumed was the deep voice who had been sitting here.

     Anderson, the supposed Alpha, growled. A low deep growl that I almost found intimidating, but more irresistible. 

     "Not just any rogue," He explained, his voice melting into my ears, my mind screeching for me to turn around and look at him, "My mate," he continued, a deep purr in his voice. 

     At that, I sat up on the branch and turned around, my brown eyes meeting with his brown eyes, feeling like there were fireworks in my stomach.