Chapter 15

Matt was already ready and eager to be released by the doctor. His parents were talking cheerfully, but Matt's sight ran from the clock and the door, waiting for Megan to arrive. He had already dismissed and said goodbye to his nurses, since he was sure that his sister-in-law would accept his request.

However, until that moment she had not shown up yet, nor she had given any cue that she was coming, not even for the family.

"Are you sure you didn't talk to her, mom?"

"My love, didn't you say you had a conversation and got it all right? Then she should appear soon," the mother tried to comfort him.

The doctor showed up promptly at five in the afternoon and Megan had not yet arrived. They collected everything and Matt sat in the wheelchair. His father pushed him to the exit, James was going to help his son to sit in the front seat, but Matt asked to go in the back seat. That place still brought back bad memories. The parents looked at each other sadly but agreed with their son's request. James put the wheelchair in the trunk, checked his son's seat belt, took the driver's place, and set off for Matt's apartment.

They arrived shortly after six in the afternoon, as the traffic was heavy. James parked, removed the chair and helped his son to settle himself in. Daisy carried Matt's few belongings, while her husband pushed the chair.

They had no difficulty getting into the elevator.

Matt felt a tremendous relief when he entered his own house. He had been away from there for more than fifty days and he was anxious to have his place back.

His father helped him to go around, and Matt noticed that the apartment had recently been cleaned. Daisy admitted that she had hired a cleaning team to keep the place neat and he was happy with his parents' concern. When James walked towards Matt's room, he realized that the doorway was not wide enough for the wheelchair, which was quite big in order to accommodate him comfortably.

That upset Matt a lot, because he knew that barriers like that would be present during his recovery.

James helped Matt to stand up on his feet, then he moved the closed chair into the room. After that he sat him down again, taking him to the bed. Matt got up, leaned on the bed, and sat on the clean sheets. His chest was no longer plastered, he only had an immobilizer vest on. His leg was immobilized as well with a removable splint.

"You shouldn't have discharged the nurses," the mother was upset by that decision.

"I didn't want the hospital to accompany me home, mother. Try to understand."

"But how will you take care of yourself, boy?"

"Don't worry, I'll fix it," Matt was trying to be positive.

"Actually, I thought I would be helping him out with that issue."

Megan appeared at the open door and everyone turned to her, they were all taken by surprise.

"Sorry for entering without warning, the front door was open and..."

"I'm glad you came, Meg!"

Matt couldn't hide his happiness and Daisy was also very happy to see her.

"I was late because I had to clean the apartment... I had to take some things to the house. Also, I had to..."

"You do not need to explain it, the most important thing is that you are here now," Matt cut her off, he was smiling.

"That's true, baby," Daisy went to the girl and gave her two kisses, "we're glad you agreed to take care of Matt! I almost panicked, I was thinking he was going to be alone in this huge apartment."