Chapter 16

A few weeks passed and Matt showed noticeable improvements. He was very committed to his exercises, besides speaking fulltime about returning to work. He had already stopped wearing his chest vest and he was only using his leg splint to sleep. He dropped his wheelchair out on the fifth day after returning home, since he was getting around with the help of crutches. He made jokes that it helped him to maintaining his physique, since it required a lot of strength in the arms.

Matt was getting better fast, so Megan was able to organize her schedules better and soon she was back at the restaurant. She loved being with customers and employees. Matt always waited for her and she told him all the details of her day. They laughed and planned together the improvements they would make in the future, just as they always did when Thomas was alive.

Occasionally she took home some dinner prepared by Antony.

Matt exchanged messages with his young right-hand man when that happened. He gave ideas and suggested modifications. Megan scolded him, saying that the attitude was bad, but the next day, Antony's food looked even better. He was a good chef and idolized his master.

She still helped Matt with his exercises in the afternoon, before leaving to work at Parker's. Occasionally, they repeated the sequence when she returned, as she would not let him sleep until she helped him. He was determined to recover quickly. Besides, he felt grateful for Megan's efforts. Matt was much more independent, he no longer needed help to go to the bathroom or to put on his clothes. He could even prepare quick meals.

His parents always visited them on Saturdays. Once in a while, they went out together.

Matt had been more reclusive than usual and only his parents were able to convince him to go out by taking short walks in places that were close to his house.

The end of the year was approaching, the weather was already very cold. They had to dress up with winter clothes and Matt hated to wear several layers of shirts. However, the joy from seeing his parents smiling beside him was worth it.

"They were happier today than usual," Megan said, as they entered the house.

"Yes, they were," he smiled, "should I make carbonara for dinner?"

"Hm... I would love to. I'm going to take half of these clothes off. I'll be right back to help you."

"I'm also going to take off these heavy clothes."

In the entry closet, Matt and Megan took off their heavy coats and put them on the appropriate hooks. They also removed the scarves, putting them there, and then they walked together towards the rooms. In his closet, Matt removed his jacket and kept on his long-sleeved blue shirt. He sat on the bed and tried to get his boots off, but he was having trouble. Megan then appeared at the door and noticed the effort he was making. She came over and bent down to pull on his shoes.

"You know you just need to ask me to do it, don't you, Matt?"

Megan did not look at him, just pulled on the rubber boots one by one. She took his shoes to the closet, picked up his cute gray slippers and took them to Matt. He remained silent and when their eyes met, she felt that something in that look felt different, but she was unable to define what it would be. Megan bent down again and helped him put his feet in socks and his slippers on.

She leaned both hands on Matt's thighs to get up, then she brought her face close to his and said:

"Comfortable now?" She asked, to which he nodded, "Let's cook?"

He smiled.

"Hey, that's my phrase, you can't take it!"

"So I want to see if you still have the right to use it! Let's see how good this dish is going to be today."