Town Gossip

-*- Hunter -*-

-//- LAST DAY OF FRESHMAN YEAR -//-

First year of high school? In the bag.

It's been a heck of a year. Everything has been perfect. I've got a banging girlfriend who is going into our sophomore year as a varsity cheerleader. We made it all the way to state in Baseball this year. I had a badass best friend who... okay so almost everything was perfect.

Holly has been really distant this year. Now that I think about it, I didn't see her at any of my games. She always used to be there, never missed one. Even when she was sick, she would be in the stands cheering me on.

I sighed as I thought about her.

Baseball wasn't the only place she's been missing from my life. There's a Holly-sized hole in my freshman year memories and I'm not sure why. Maybe I just haven't been trying enough? I have been spending a lot of time with Candy.

I finished cleaning out my locker and looked over to where I knew Holly's was. Good, she was still there, time to fix this. I shouldered my bookbag and snuck up behind her. I tickled her sides like I used to and got the same reaction as always.

She squealed and giggled then turned around in my arms. I forgot what it was like to hold her, to hug her, hell to be close to her. My heart picked up speed from just seeing her smile. I can't believe I let myself get so out of touch with her.

Her smile faded quickly, and she took a step back away from me like I was some diseased creature.

"Hey Hunter," she said her voice flat and emotionless.

"Hey Holls," I said giving her a smile and ignoring the pang in my chest at her calling me Hunter instead of Hunt.

"What's up?" she asked.

"Well, some of us are getting together at The Backlot tonight. I wanted to know If I should pick you up?" I got my license last week for my sixteenth birthday. It was so freeing to no longer be driven around by my parents or have my big brother tag along on dates. Especially for nights like tonight.

The Backlot is an abandoned old drive-in movie theatre on the outskirts of town. Teens go there to hang out and spend time away from the parentals. Sometimes there's booze. Sometimes bonfires or both.

A smile spreads across her face and it makes me smile too. I loved seeing her happy, it's always been my mission to make her smile. It was my favorite sight in the world.

Holly's smile starts to fade, and the light began to dull in her eyes.

"I can't," she said softly.

Before I could ask why Candace popped up between us and planted one on my lips. She always tasted like bubblegum. It was a little off-putting, but I didn't see much of a point to tell her that. She pulled away with a giggle and I quickly looked behind her at Holly.

Holly gave me a one-shoulder shrug and closed her locker then walked away. Were those tears in her eyes?

Candace turned my face back to her before I could go after Holly and ask what was wrong.

"So, I told Ashley we were going to The Backlot. She needs us to pick up her and her boyfriend," she said.

I blinked at Candy then looked behind her again where Holly had walked. She was gone. I sighed and nodded my head and said, "okay."

-//- PRESENT -//-

I groaned as I smacked the alarm clock blaring in my ear. I was not ready to roll off this couch and get my day started. Pulling the covers off of my head I rolled over and was instantly met by the face of my brother.