Change of Plans

-*- Hunter -*-

-//- END OF SENIOR YEAR -//-

I adjusted my phone between my ear and shoulder as I grabbed my keys off the table. Then pat down my jeans looking for my wallet and sighed when I found it. My heart was racing as I thought about what I was about to do.

"So, are you gonna tell her?" Dale asked.

"Yeah," I said with a smile. "I'm headed to her place after the signing."

"Yes!" he yelled in my ear. "About damn time!"

I chuckled. He was right. It was about damn time.

Colleges had been hounding me to pick a school and sign on with their teams for a few months now. Candace was convinced I was picking UCLA so I could be with her. But I didn't want to be so far from home.

What happened at prom last night changed everything. Candace had taken off somewhere with her friends, leaving me standing alone. I decided I wasn't going to be a wallflower at my own prom. Dale was in the corner making out with his date, so I let him be.

I searched the whole ballroom but there were no signs of Holly anywhere. With a sigh, I made my way to the bathroom. As I turned the corner, I caught sight of her arguing with her date.

"I can't do this Holly."

I ducked around the corner to not disturb them but to also listen in.

"Jeffrey, please."

"I'm not him, I'll never be him."

"It's not like..."

"But it is, baby. It always has been. No one is ever going to measure up to him. I'm okay with admitting defeat and bowing out now. I just hope he sees you the way I saw you one day."

I was too wrapped up in trying to figure out what the hell he was talking about that I didn't notice he was coming my way until he was standing in front of me.

I've known Jeffrey since middle school. It didn't shock me when I found out he and Holly were dating. He's always had a crush on her.

But as he stood before me, he looked at me differently. He gave me a once over and shook his head.

"She deserves better," he said before he walked away.

I didn't have time to ponder on what he said because a quiet sniffle around the corner called out to me.

Holly was a vision in white.

The fabric of her dress was flowy and looked soft. It hugged her chest and hips showing off her slim figure. The top allowed the perfect amount of breasts to peekaboo out without looking trashy. Unlike Candace's, I was convinced she was going to flash the whole school any second.

She was so damn beautiful. Even with tears spreading her makeup down her cheeks.

I saw my future standing before me. Veil, flowers, and all. My decision became abundantly clear as I approached her.

"Why so glum, babydoll?"

She looked up at me and gasped my name.

I reached up and tucked a flyaway hair behind her ear then pulled her to me. I didn't give a damn who saw us as I pressed my lips to hers for the first time in four years.

A goofy smile had been a permanent fixture on my lips since that moment. I took her home and promised to call her today.

My call with Candace this morning went a lot smoother than I anticipated. She didn't seem pissed I bailed on her last night and she took the break-up a lot better than I thought. When she agreed that we both just wanted different things I was shocked. I was however not looking a gift horse in the mouth.