Chapter 1

Her glossy dark blue nails tapped rhythmically, her index finger starting the pattern, her pinky ending it, and the pitch repeating itself. The boy next to her bounced his leg under the table, periodically glancing her way while reading.

She was intimidating in every way possible. Charming, involved with a large clique, impeccable beauty standards, almost every teenage girl at Auradon Prep envied Evie. Granted that her mother was Grimhilde, a notorious grifter and ex-wife to an unknown heir, she was feared and respected like most other children of the 1%.

The tapping continued. Doug stumbled over his words even more than he had been. Now with clammy hands, he hid them in his lap, rushing through the last of his paragraph. He turned the book over to Evie and she gladly took over, reading the textbook as if it was cursive.

"Yeah, I never thought you could speak even slower than you did," Evie chuckled, sliding the textbook his way and leaning back in her seat. "If you'd allow yourself an ounce of confidence, your voice wouldn't fluctuate. Anyway, nice working with you."

Confused as to whether or not he was supposed to thank her or stay quiet, Doug thought for too long. Evie stood up, returning to the table that was crowded with more students than chairs. He spotted the girl with purple streaks, the boy with bleached tips, and the other boy with shiny long tresses of dark brown.

The Crown Prince, the Princess of Auroria, and a girl with two cherry blossom hair clips pinned to her neck-length hair, all turned their chairs around to join the chatter.

Doug watched from where he sat and opened the textbook. He flipped through the pages, reading random sentences to buy time. As soon as the instructor returned to the room, the table group quickly dispersed and took seats with their original partners. Evie was the last one to return to her spot, turning away from Doug.

"The printer wasn't working, so I expect that somehow you all get together with your partners to finish the rest of the assignment before Thursday. I'll dismiss you all early. But I'd like to speak with Evie after class," the tall, thin woman with cat-eye glasses mentioned.

As the class began to rustle around, making plans and packing up their things, Evie stayed seated. On the receiving end of a sympathetic smile, she gestured for Mal. The girl with violet highlights lingered with Evie for a bit before the instructor politely asked her to wait outside.

Doug was one of the few students left, waiting patiently to speak with her and he was taken aback when she asked him to take a seat. Across from Evie, his eyes darted from her to the instructor. When the last student left the room, the instructor shut the door. Evie glanced at Doug, the boy staring straight ahead.

"Now that all of that is out of the way, you both must be wondering why you're here. Douglas, you are an exceptional student. I'll answer your question later. Evie, your group work and online quizzes are fantastic. However, your monitored exams left me a little confused. It was brought to my attention that you have a device—a little mirror—that gives you any answer you'd like. I suspect that is how you seem to know everything during class," the woman began, Evie quickly interjecting.

"Mrs. Hobbs, I am so sorry for my actions. I wasn't intentionally trying to cause harm. If I could—" Evie said, her hand to her chest.

"I wasn't finished, Evie. I won't take your property, but I will give you a second chance. But only if Douglas agrees to tutor you. Given his stellar performance in my course, I think that he would be the best option to help you get on track. I assume you worked well together today, so I'll see that your teamwork continues. Any questions?"

She barely finished speaking before Evie and Doug both began to ramble that they couldn't work together.

"I'll turn my mirror in. I just...can't...work with him." Evie pleaded, with desperation in her voice. She flipped her hair from her shoulders. Doug, adjusting his glasses, nodded his head in agreement.

"I'm sorry, but I believe you knew better than to cheat, especially using magic. Your second chance is to be tutored. I haven't disclosed your situation to the Headmistress yet. I want you to see that you are capable of performing well.

"Douglas, if this pairing is not working, come speak with me. But I don't think you will run into anything of the sort. And Evie, I think you'll enjoy working with Douglas. He has a knack for chemistry."

Flashing Mrs. Hobbs a short smile, Evie stood up. She slung her tote over her one exposed shoulder and adjusted her off the shoulder knee-length dress. Dusting off the bottom of her dress, she cordially said goodbye to Mrs. Hobbs.

By the time Doug left the science wing, it was five past three. Unsure of whether or not he was supposed to have gotten her phone number, he assumed they would begin meeting the following day. Taken by surprise, Doug arched a brow when he received a message from an unknown number. The text read that it was Evie and that she would like to meet up for her mandatory tutoring session on Tuesdays and Thursdays at seven.

His heart sank a bit, acknowledging that this ordeal was on her terms. Doug contemplated whether leaving work early or explaining his timing conflict with her. After sending a response that they could meet at the campus coffeehouse, he heard the voices of two girls.

Looking up from his phone, he shut his locker and glanced down the hall. Evie's laughter subsided when she noticed Doug in the hallway. Her smile fell and she stopped strutting, her hands falling from her hips. She made eye contact with him before turning around. She pushed Mal the other way, the two of them walking back in the direction they came.

"Cauldrons, M. I think I left my earbuds in the dorm," Evie exclaimed, her voice echoing. Mal groaned at her friend's mishap and she reluctantly turned around to follow her.

A frown crossed Doug's forehead upon hearing their conversation. He was positive her Bluetooth earbuds had been clipped to the side of her purse.