Chapter 5

Doug grabbed the used dishes off of the table and the few coins in tips. He stuffed the gold pieces into his apron pocket. Turning around, he watched the two patrons leave, the bell sounding. He walked away from the table and unloaded the tray into the large sink where one of his coworkers was washing. Falling into the routine of his job, he glanced out of the flapping door to see if there were any new patrons. 

With no one around, Doug went through a mental list of the jobs that he could do until his break. Picking up a bucket and a washcloth, he left the kitchen to wipe down some of the tables. The pendulum clock ticked slowly as he swished the cloth in the bucket, wrung it out and wiped down crumbs and spilled coffee.

Finishing the first set of tables in the main seating area, he went up the small ramp to the far back, just as the bell over the door rang. He ignored the patron's entrance, unaware that it was Evie. With her tote bag on her shoulder, clad in a navy blue ensemble, she walked to the usual spot she sat with Doug. Evie effortlessly slid into the booth, taking out her notebook and such.

Plopping the washcloth into his bucket, Doug only took notice of Evie when he turned around and began washing more efficiently than before. He returned to the front, Evie catching his eye. She gave him a short wave. Fern came through the kitchen as the clock hit seven and Doug grabbed his timesheet and clocked in his break.

"Saw Evie out there. I didn't know you had tutoring sessions on Mondays," Fern said with inquiry in her voice as she placed some of the used dishes onto the counter for the dishwasher to clean.

"We don't. She's probably just here on her own. Did you want me to grab anything while I'm out?"

"Nope. Just take your break for once, Dougie."

Taking off his apron, he placed it on the hook. Leaving the kitchen, Evie looked up expectantly and waved him over.

"Hey," Evie said, her face lighting up in a smile that Doug couldn't help to reciprocate.

"Hi. You're working on Auradon History?" He asked, sliding into the booth across from her, looking toward her notebook and study guide.

"Yeah, I really just came by to see if you knew anything about it. I didn't do the work as usual and have no idea how to pass the quiz on Wednesday."

"Oh, yeah, I can—"

"It's totally fine if you can't. I get it. Probably still on your shift," Evie interrupted, picking up her pens.

"No, I'm actually on break. I can definitely help. I think I remember most of the stuff anyway, um, let me grab a water and I'm all yours," he clarified, beginning to stand up. "Can I get you anything?"

Evie declined and thanked him. She watched Doug walk to the cashier. He hadn't gotten so nervous speaking to her. Nor had he taken his hair out like usual. Evie wondered if he was really starting to get comfortable around her. This would be a good thing, her subtle shift in behavior toward him actually did ease the tension. So that part of the lie about compromising hadn't been false. With a clear cup and a straw piercing through the lid, Doug sat back down and Evie's thoughts moved to the back of her mind for later.

"You're in the Fairy Era Unit right?"

"Yeah. It's just a bunch of more recent dates of humans and fairies interacting now. We already went through the old age dates. I just can't seem to get the people or dates down from the modern fairy age," Evie explained, pointing to the long list of key terms. Doug's eyes followed the list of words and he gave her an understanding smile.

"I totally get it. There are a lot of nitpicky things in this class. Let me just search for last semester's digital study cards and we'll start with Flora, Fauna and Merriweather."