Chapter 3

It was time that did the two students wonders. Five tutoring sessions in and they were just about getting used to each other, especially after the chemistry joke he wrote on the side of her cup instead of her name. That was the first time he saw her laugh, though Evie concealed the short snort at the end of her giggles. Since that moment over a half hour ago, the air between them subdued and they continued working.

"Oh. My. Auradon. I get it. Balancing reactions. I haven't come across one that doesn't make sense," Evie exclaimed out of the blue. Doug looked up from his laptop.

She drank a bit more of her tea in the paper cup and put down her blue pen. She slid the packet his way. Flipping through the papers, he found there to be no incorrect answers. Doug internally remarked that she was pretty good at chemistry, she just needed the motivation and focus. Surveying the rest of the newly assigned packet, he caught himself thinking of how Evie was starting to grow on him. His thoughts subsided when he glanced out of the windows behind her, the sun only now beginning to set. They had finished earlier than usual.

"Doug? Do you mind if you start early tonight, Edie can't make it in today," the woman's voice carried as she approached the booth. She smiled sweetly, glancing from Doug to Evie and back. Doug turned his attention to her, Evie sliding her blue pens into a small pencil case.

"Sure, I think we're just about done. Everything looks great, Evie. I'll see you Thursday."

Evie ran her fingers through her hair and plastered a bright smile across her face. Looking between the two, she noticed a resemblance.

"Yeah, of course. You guys are related, right? I can see a resemblance," she mentioned. Evie connected that she and Doug had family history upon her first few weeks at Auradon Prep. It wasn't as if any student could dismiss their familial enemies anyway—they socialized among them.

Fern chuckled. "Yes, he's my little cousin. But you're not so little anymore, are you?" She ruffled his hair, Doug immediately turning red and he gently pushed her hand away. Fern, her warm smile still plastered to her face, walked back toward the kitchen, leaving them in silence. Doug returned her packet and slid his own papers into his folder.

"Before I go, did you want a pastry or beverage? It'll be on the house."

Evie hesitated, glancing at the cat embellished pendulum clock above the entrance to the kitchen. It was getting late and she knew that if she ate something now, she wouldn't have an appetite in the morning. The only thing worse than skipping one of her only meals, was having eaten too much fat. "Uh, no I'm good. Thanks. Maybe Thursday."

"Sure. I get it," Doug said, responding with a small smile.

She watched him leave the table and enter the kitchen through the flapping door. As it flapped back and forth until it came to a stop, she wished to know a little more about his family. It hadn't occurred to her that people really had such dynamics. In comparison to her and her friends' chaotic homes, she wondered what it would be like to have a close relationship with one's blood relatives.

Sliding out of the booth, Evie picked up her things one by one and placed them in her tote bag. As she zipped it up, she took in the smell of coffee and light chatter. The Daily Blend was something of an escape every evening. She could be a smidge more of herself here, unlike the four walls of any other space besides her dorm.

Walking past other students and a number of customers, she left the coffeehouse, the bell on the door ringing. Stepping into the breeze, she took her time walking through to the quad toward Godfrey Hall. Looking at the sunset, she smiled.

It had been a good day.

* * *

"So," Fern drew out, coming up behind her nephew. "Is Grimhilde's daughter a new friend?"