Chapter 6

Following her second-to-last class of the day, Evie stopped at her locker to pick up her textbook. After failing geometry the previous semester, she was placed back into algebra. And if that had proven anything to her, she didn't want to have to retake it again.

Math wasn't an issue for her, she understood it for the most part. She just had very little motivation to do well in the subject. Well, because why would she? But today was different. Having spoken with Doug the previous night, a little of his ambition rubbed off on her. He had shared his interests and dreams with her, prompting her realization that she had little to none.

Her dreams consisted of a new boyfriend who wasn't Chad Charming, greater independence and something else. That something else was hard to pinpoint as it changed often. First it was to make her mother proud, then it had been fame, but ever since Doug mentioned the fashion industry, she had been taking her sketches a little more seriously. There was no use in buying something everyone else had jumped on the bandwagon for, so why not bring her sketches to life?

Trailblazing was a concept Evie was known for. And she took pride in it.

As her thoughts subsided, she grabbed her textbook and turned to the mirror hanging inside of the door. She patted her lips, a habit to ensure her bold lip was still intact. Shutting her locker swiftly, she came face to face with Jay and Mal.

"Auradon!" Evie exclaimed, her face frowning up until she remembered that frown lines exist. "I could've smudged my liner!"

"You don't even do your makeup at your locker, anymore, do you?" Jay inquired, Evie lifting her textbook up to hold in both of her hands. She chuckled and began to walk in sync with Mal and Jay, looking over her shoulder to double check she locked her locker.

"No, no, I don't. What did you two want, anyway?" Evie asked, Mal and Jay both shrugging.

"Mal suggested we see what you were up to. She's not in the mood for history because of tomorrow's quiz and I'm bored of drafting papers. You want to get out of Algebra?" Jay asked, Evie stopping as the three came around to the hallway leading to the math wing.

Evie held onto her textbook, trying to make a quick decision on what to do. On one hand, she liked skipping to sketch her next formal piece and discuss the school's latest drama. But on the other hand, she realized her grade in algebra was almost to a B. Although she hated the class and barely did the homework, she still managed to ace most of the exams.

"I think I'll go to Algebra today. Maybe tomorrow. I can't keep barely passing," Evie blurted, hearing the bell ring and suddenly becoming aware of the close to empty hallways.

"Really?" Mal said, her voice shocked. "I can't believe it, Jay. Genevieve is actually applying her smarts to the books."

Jay covered his forehead with his hand and pretended to be in agony. "Oh, Mal. She's too far gone," he cried, pretending to fall backward, Mal leaning to catch him.

Looking to the math hallway, then back to the two, Evie snickered. "I'm going to get going. I'll see you guys and Carlos at the quad later, okay?" Evie called after them, starting for the long hallway of classrooms.

Both Mal and Jay saluted her and began their trek back to the arts wing to find a spot in the band hallway. When Evie could no longer hear their chatter echoing as she walked to her classroom, she wondered how to make her tardy entrance. What excuse was she to use this time? Evie approached Room C150 and tried the handle. It wouldn't open. Moving it in both directions, back and forth, she gave up.

Already aware of the scenario playing out, she was to wait until the lecture was over and give her reasoning for being late. Pressed her ear to hear inside the classroom, she was proven correct. It would be another thirty minutes before the instructor opened the door. It was then when Evie let out a curse for not going with Mal and Jay. This one time, after who knows how long, she actually had the motivation to try. But of course there was a barrier. There was always a barrier.