Malachor

Ezra hesitated on the stairs leading to the obelisk. Something in his gut told him not to trust Maul, and he struggled internally with himself. Looking back, he gasped as he saw Maul beginning to battle against Ahsoka and Kanan. He started to make his way back down, then froze.

"KANAN! NO!" Ezra shrieked. His master was about to be struck by Maul, but he ran as fast as he could and took the blow instead.

Kanan grunted as he felt something run into him. A scream filled the air, one that would haunt the Jedi for the rest of his life. When his vision cleared, Kanan's heart stopped. His padawan was crumpled on the ground, clutching his eyes.

Maul was standing over Ezra, a curious look on his face. "Hmm, that was most unexpected," he said, as if he were discussing the weather. "It is too bad, Ezra. You could have been so strong with me, but I suppose that will not happen now." 

He raised his red saber, ready to deliver the killing blow, but Ahsoka approached from behind him, her white lightsabers out. She nodded to Kanan, then began to battle with Maul. Quickly, Kanan grabbed his apprentice and dragged him towards the Phantom.

"Kanan, it hurts!" Ezra wailed. 

"I know, I know!" Kanan said frantically, pushing him into the Phantom. "Ahsoka! We need to go!" The Togruta nodded and force pushed Maul away. She sprinted over and slipped into the ship, then Chopper took off.

Ezra sat there, whimpering softly as he covered his eyes with a hand. Ahsoka grabbed the med kit, gently tugging at his hand to get him to drop it. Carefully, she began covering his eyes, wincing as she did so. 

Chopper gave a series of grunts, and it fell upon Ahsoka to answer his question. "A lot happened, Chop."

There was more silence, then Ezra broke it. "I'm going to be blind," he whispered. "Aren't I?"

"I'm sorry, Ezra," Ahsoka murmured, after exchanging a glance with Kanan. "There's nothing we can do to prevent it."

"Don't be. This is all my fault, anyways," Ezra said, his head dropping down. "I was the one who chose trust Maul. I'm sorry." 

Kanan finally spoke up. "There's nothing for you to be sorry about, Ezra," he said fiercely. "None of us could have known what Maul was going to do. There is absolutely nothing for you to be sorry for." He took Ezra into his arms, gently stroking the boy's long hair. 

Ahsoka sighed shakily, eyes filling with tears as she looked away. She leaned her forehead against the wall, hugging herself. The boy was so young, but had already experienced so much that he shouldn't have had to. 

He grew up on the streets starting at the age of 7, became part of the rebellion when he was 14, learned that his parents were dead a year after. Now, Ezra would have to be blind for the rest of his life, and there was nothing anybody could do.

They came out of hyperspace and Chopper landed the ship. As the entrance opened, Ahsoka saw the entire Ghost crew waiting hopefully. She turned her face away from them slightly and closed her eyes, still hugging herself. Rex approached her, but the female held up a hand and began walking away from him, needing some time for herself.

Kanan carefully led Ezra off the ship, and the crew gasped. "Ezra," Sabine breathed softly. The mood immediately became darker as they examined Ezra's covered eyes.

Hera approached and took Ezra into her arms, pressing the boy close to her as a tear trickled down her face. Ezra's shoulders began shaking in her hold and Hera tightened her hold. Sabine also moved closer, female instincts kicking in. 

The two girls looked at each other, silently communicating, and Sabine jerked her head towards Kanan. Hera nodded and allowed the other girl to take her place, then gently led Kanan away. 

"Hey," Sabine said as soft as she could. Ezra's head lifted, and he smiled slightly.

"You're here," he murmured. 

Sabine wrapped her arms around him. "Yeah," she responded. "C'mon, let's get you to the medbay."

"There's no point. I know I'm going to be blind, 'Bine," Ezra sighed. "Where'd Kanan go?"

"Hera's with him. Ezra, please, just come to the medbay, to double check for other injuries," Sabine pleaded, leading him away. Ezra didn't protest, and Sabine sighed in relief. "Do you..."

Ezra allowed a faint smile to appear. "You want to know what happened," he said, more of a statement than a question. Sabine nodded, then realized that he couldn't see her and responded with words. 

"A lot happened, but ultimately, I chose to take a blow for Kanan," he explained, boiling everything down to that one sentence. 

"Oh, Ezra," Sabine sighed. It was so like him, to do that. "I know this doesn't mean much, but I'm sorry." They spent the rest of the way in silence, Ezra leaning against Sabine. They passed many people, but Sabine was quick to send them sharp glares, daring them to comment. 

~~~

Kanan sat there, his head in his hands. "Hera, what am I supposed to do?" he cried, anguished. "This is all my fault! If I had been more insistent, if I made sure that my guard was up, I could've prevented this!"

"This isn't your fault, Master," Ezra's familiar voice came. He stood in the door with Sabine, fresh wraps on his eyes. 

"It wasn't your fault, either, Ezra," Hera said gently. She was sitting next to Kanan with Zeb and Chopper nearby. "I know both of you are probably blaming yourselves, but from what I've heard, none of you knew what was going to happen. It's not your fault. You are both alive, and that's what matters."

Sabine helped Ezra over to a seat, then tried to move back, but the boy clung on to her. She stood by him, silently vowing to do her best to take care of the boy.

Ezra cracked a grin, much to the surprise of everyone, and stated, "I can feel that, Sabine." The girl flushed, and it broke the tension, which appeared to be what Ezra was aiming for. 

Hera sat there, eyes flicking back and forth between Ezra and Kanan. However, when neither of them spoke up again, she sighed, "If you two don't start talking, we're going to be here for a while." 

"I..." Kanan trailed off. "I'm not quite sure what to say, Ezra."

"Neither am I," his padawan admitted. "But I want you to know that I don't blame you, Master. None of us meant for this to happen, but it did, and I will have to learn to accept it."

Kanan's head drooped. "I know, but that doesn't stop me from blaming myself," he said. "I'm so sorry, Ezra. What...happened to the holocron?"

"It's in a safe place," Ezra said, turning his head slightly towards Sabine. He had given it to her before coming over, and trusted the girl to keep it safe and away from everyone. "I figured that nobody needed the temptation of it right now, or ever."

"Probably for the best," Kanan agreed. He stared at the floor, and Ezra got up, Sabine leading him over to the Jedi master. Ezra hugged Kanan, who returned the gesture, tears filling his eyes. Sabine backed away and leaned against Hera, who put an arm around her.

"It's going to be alright, Master," Ezra whispered. Kanan didn't say anything to that, merely closed his eyes.

I hope so, he thought.

So I just spent a while bawling my eyes out because I'm moving ballet studios, and most of my closest friends are at the studio I'm moving from. So yeah, that was a really wild ride that probably still isn't over. Hopefully I'll still be able to visit them every once in a while. Luckily my parents are super understanding, though. Anyways, hope you guys like this one, and let me know in the comments! If you have a request, I'd be happy to listen!