- Chapter Seven -

It day was my seventh day in here.

Chris had been kind of busy these past few days, so we didn't get much time to talk more than that.
But I noticed even though he didn't have much time, he would still take a moment to come during the afternoon and we would exchange a few words. He would also take some time to have dinner with me.

My days all looked the same. Breakfast, shower, brushing teeth, reading, dinner and repeat.
Chris was actually the only thing punctuating my days and I hated to admit it, but I felt like I was starting to enjoy his presence. But I knew the reason was probably because as I said, he was the only interaction I was getting.

________

It was 2:34PM when the door opened.

I put the book down, a smile appearing on my face as I saw Chris walking in.

He greeted me with a smile, stepping closer to have a seat on the bed.
He said softly:
-"we're alone for a few hours, so we can talk a bit if you want."

I nodded.
-"so.. How have you been? You seem tired. Have you tried meditation?"
-"mhm.. I've been alright. Actually I'm tired because my nights were short.. But yeah, I tried meditation and I have to admit that it helps a lot, in fact I haven't been able to do one fully, I ended up falling asleep kinda fast." He chuckled. "So thanks for the tips, it helped a lot.."

I smiled at him, patting his shoulder.
-"you're welcome. I'm glad if I was able to help! But why were your nights so short? Is it because of your girlfriend?"
I elbowed him playfully, raising my brows in a suggestive way.

What an obvious way to know more about his personal life, wasn't it?

He giggled at my words, his cheeks turning into a light pink shade.
-"no, not at all." He cleared his throat. "I don't have anyone in my life.. I just had to take care of a few personal things."
-"I know this is probably too much to ask but.. May I know what were these personal things you had to take care of?"

He nipped on his bottom lip, his eyes meeting mine.
-"I will tell you, but not today.."
-"why not today?"
-"mhm.. Because it's too early for now."
-"what do you mean? I don't get it.."

He flashed a small smile.
-"you'll get what I mean in a few days, don't worry about that. Anyway, what would you want to eat for dinner?"

I wondered why he was being so mysterious about those things, but I decided not to insist and ask him again in a few days if I had the occasion.
-"I'd like to have your favorite food for dinner, if that's ok?"

He chuckled.
-"sure!"
-"thanks! Speaking about food, are you good at cooking?"
-"I guess not that much.. I mean, I can cook simple things. What about you?"

I smiled at him.
-"I think I'm not bad at cooking, especially cakes! I've always loved baking cakes, when I was a kid I'd always help my mom with baking cakes.. Actually I learnt a lot from her.."
My voice broke, my smile fading away at the memories of my mom.
I glanced down at my hands, my eyes uncontrollably filling up with tears.

I felt an arm wrapping around my shoulders as Chris pulled me closer to him.
He had his head on top of mine as I leaned against his body.

After a few minutes, I finally asked:
-"and.. Who taught you how to cook?"

His voice sounded a little  bit sad as he replied:
-"I learnt by myself.."
-"you never cooked with your parents?"

I felt his body tensing at my question, maybe that was a bit too much to ask, but at least I tried.

Unlike what I was expecting, he spoke again.
-"no.. My mom passed away when she gave birth and.. My father.. Well.. He spent his whole life punishing me for being born."