Chapter 39

When Diamond was stable enough to get out of the hospital, Diamond drove herself and the kids to Brian's house. Kendrick and Brian talked about the arrangement already and Brian agreed to be on his best behavior.

"Diamond, you know the rules. Nothing has changed. Security passcode is the same, emergency phrases are the same, everything", Brian said. "Kendrick moved a Queen sized bed in Ayanna's room so you and the girls can sleep there"

"Yea. He told me", Diamond said.

"Okay. Well...I have to go to work", Brian replied as he walked to the door. "Call me if you need me. Better yet call 911 and I'll respond even quicker"

"Alright. Have a nice day", Diamond said.

"Thanks", Brian replied as he walked out the house and left.

"I'm hungry", Alyssa said.

"Okay. Let's eat a grilled cheese. How does that sound?", Diamond asked.

"Yes", Alyssa replied.

"Come on." Diamond walked into the kitchen as her phone rung.

Diamond answered the called as she looked in the fridge for cheese. "Hello?"

"I was just making sure everything was alright", Kendrick said over the phone.

"I mean like we don't have a choice but to be alright. Of course Ayanna's fine with this. I don't know how Alyssa feels about it and I'm not too fond of this", Diamond replied.

"Well do you have a better solution?", he asked.

"...no. I mean I'll do this but I just don't like it. That's all I'm saying to you. I don't like nothing about this situation, especially that bitch", Diamond said. "She really tried to kill me? I mean like come on"

Brian walked into the kitchen.

Diamond calmed down a little bit. She didn't know if Brian knew about that but he did now.

"Who tried to kill you?", Brian asked.

Diamond sighed.

"Nah, because Kendrick ain't tell me that shit. This bitch he fucking around with tried to kill you?? Where was my daughter during this?", Brian asked.

"Brian, don't you have to go to work?", Diamond asked.

"Nah. Fuck that. That shit can wait especially if my daughter's safety is on the line. I don't play that bullshit", Brian replied.

"Tell Brian to calm it down a couple of notches. I don't need him acting a fool in front of my daughter", Kendrick said.

"Well you got us here so I guess you gotta deal with that. I'll call you back", Diamond said before she hung up. "Ayanna was fine. The girl made sure the kids were safe"

"I don't like this shit Diamond. I don't like it", Brian said. "Soon as I wanna be good, people wanna bring the bad out of me and I don't fucking like it"

"Ayanna will be fine okay? Kendrick is handling the situation", Diamond said.

"I'll kill her. I don't give a fuck who she is. I will kill her", Brian said. "That's one thing you do not do is fuck with my god damn daughter. She got shut fucked up"

"Calm down alright", Diamond said.

"Shut up", Brian said before he walked out of the kitchen.

Diamond rolled her eyes as she kept her cool.

Alyssa looked at Diamond. "He's mean", Alyssa said as she started tearing up. "I want daddy"

"I know baby. But daddy is trying to make sure that we're safe okay? You'll see daddy soon", Diamond replied.

"Okay", Alyssa replied as she hugged Diamond's leg.

Diamond began fixing her and Ayanna's sandwich.

————

That night Diamond put the kids to bed and sat in the living room as she wrote in a journal and watched TV.

Brian walked in the house and Diamond looked at him then back at the TV.

"...How was work?", Diamond asked.

"Work", Brian answered as he took his shoes off.

Diamond didn't say anything else. He was quiet between the two for a moment as Brian looked at her.

"I'm sorry about earlier", he said, breaking the silence. "For yelling at you and for telling you to shut up. That was rude"

Diamond looked at him. "That's a new one", she said.

"I said I'm better now", Brian replied as he sat on the couch with her. There was space between them. "I've been attending anger management classes"

"Wow", Diamond said with a smile. "That's good"

Brian chuckled. "Yea Yea yea", he said.

"No, Seriously. That's good", Diamond replied. "I'm proud of you"

"...Maybe one day I can more time with my daughter than just seeing her twice a month", he said.

"Maybe that time will come sooner than you think if you get even more better", she replied.

Brian looked down. "I just wish things didn't get to the point that they did", he said.

"Things happen for a reason", Diamond said.

"I suppose", Brian replied as he sat back and looked at the TV.

Diamond started writing in her journal and Brian began looking at her. First he was admiring her then he felt regret. Once he felt that regret he stood up.

"Goodnight", he said.

Diamond looked up at him. "Goodnight", she replied before looking back at her journal.

Brian walked to his room.

TO BE CONTINUED....