The Mysterious Knight Appears

Princess Zelda sat upon the great throne in Hyrule Castle thumbing a golden rose delicately in between her gloved fingers. This had been a token from her beloved Hero who dwelled deep within the Faron Woods. A genuine smile graced her beautiful glossy pink lips at the memory of the Hero's recent visit to the castle. Princess Zelda felt her heart quicken in pace as a blush crept to her lily-white cheeks. Stop daydreaming already there is important work that must be done.  Rising from her seat the Princess tucked the golden rose carefully upon her crown as a childish grin stretched from one pointed ear to the other. Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted when the large double doors to the audience chambers swung open. 

       A tall and intimidating woman strode into the throne room, her red eyes flashing brightly in the sunlight as she approached the dais. A great curved blade was strapped to her back. The woman knelt on one knee bowing her head towards the floor. Princess Zelda smiled down at her.  "Rise Impa what tidings do you bring that has placed urgency in your steps?" Impa rose staring gravely but calmly upon the Princess. Impa was Zelda's loyal attendant, guardian, and general to the Hylian Knights. The blood of the ancient Sheikah tribes coursed through her veins. "Your Majesty I have grave news. A great army belonging to Ganondorf's forces has amassed upon the kingdom's borders," the Sheikah general declared. 

    Alarm crossed Princess Zelda's features. "Have they attacked any villages or settlements within the region?" she asked shakily. Impa merely shook her head. "No, but the King is requesting an immediate audience with you. If he is not granted one he will order his troops to attack." Princess Zelda turned away from Impa slowly collapsing upon the throne feeling a knot form in the pit of her stomach. Today's business with the allied tribes such as the Rito, Zoras, and Gorons would have to wait. "Your Highness, what is your answer?" Impa asked urgently. Zelda sighed deeply placing a hand over her chest. "Where is King Ganondorf now?" Impa glanced towards the doors. "He is waiting within Hyrule Castle Town under heavy guard. Shall I have him escorted here?" The Princess nodded hesitantly, secretly yearning for the Hero to appear on his grand steed. 

***********************************************************************************************

   "Ahh at long last Princess we meet," a deep honied voice spoke. Princess Zelda glanced upward only to be met by the piercing golden stare of the Gerudo King Ganondorf. He strutted in boastfully despite his well-armed entourage of Hylian Knights and the Sheikah general surrounding him. Princess Zelda rose from her throne keeping her ocean blue eyes trained on the Royal Family's most ancient of enemies. "Greetings, Your Majesty, it is an honor to have you as a guest here in my halls," Zelda said with a polite curtsy. King Ganondorf chuckled brushing a scarlet lock of his long hair from his face. "I highly doubt that Princess," he answered grinning smugly. 

  Hyrule and the Gerudo Tribes are under a banner of peace despite our differences of the past. Why have you brought your armies to my Kingdom's borders?" the Princess asked. Ganondorf folded his muscular arms across his well-built chest. "I bring to you a proposition Princess, one you cannot possibly ignore." Princess Zelda quirked an eyebrow intrigued by his words. "Ohh and what is this proposition?" Ganondorf's smugness instantly shifted to one of solemnity. "The people of my kingdom are suffering greatly from famine and drought. I am requesting that Your Highness increase trade to the desert so my people do not perish." 

  Princess Zelda addressed her Sheikah attendant with a concerned glance. "Impa can you confirm this?" Impa stepped forward nodding once. "We have heard rumors of such misfortunes within the desert. However many of the Gerudo have resulted in robbing Hylian caravans beyond their borders." Ganondorf growled. "Ahh that is absurd, my people are being framed. We would not risk hundreds of years of peace for something so petty as theft. Perhaps it is that dreaded Yiga Clan." Princess Zelda held up a hand for silence. "I apologize King Ganondorf, but unless you have proof of such accusations I am inclined to take the word of my General." 

   Ganondorf unamused by Princess Zelda's lack of empathy glowered dangerously at her. "If that is your decision then my troops will happily relieve your kingdom of supplies that my people desperately need. Unless you can provide an alternate resolution," he added keeping his arms firmly crossed. The Princess was at a loss for words for she feared the Gerudo King and his dark powers. She did not wish for war to break out nor the return of another Calamity. She gulped before allowing the words to leave her tongue. 

 "There is one way to provide aid to your people Lord Dragmire without any bloodshed," she began. Impa's jaw parted slightly. "Princess?" the Sheikah muttered. "A marriage between Hyrulian royal or noble blood could secure an alliance with our nations. Your people will have supplies delivered within a matter of weeks if we can come to this arrangement." Gasps filled the chamber as Ganondorf's eyes widened in astonishment.  "Do you accept these terms?" Princess Zelda questioned firmly. There was a prolonged moment of silence as Ganondorf rubbed his bearded chin in thought. "Hmm, it is quite tempting Princess. Do you offer yourself as a tribute to me?" He leered at her hungrily. Zelda composed herself and drawing to her full posture. "If that is what it takes ... then yes. I agree."  

  The Gerudo King burst into hearty laughter. "Very well Princess you have two weeks' time to present to me a worthy bride. If you fail to deliver then I will come for your hand instead. Is that clear?" he asked grinning smugly once more. Zelda nodded seeming to be unphased. "Crystal clear Lord Dragmire." Ganondorf chuckled. "In the meantime, I will arrange for supplies to be delivered to your kingdom as an act of good faith on my part," Zelda stated dryly. "Excellent I will withdraw my forces for now Princess." Just as he was about to turn and leave he stopped short addressing Zelda with a cold stare. "If you betray me, Princess I will not hesitate to lay waste to your precious lands." Without another word, the King departed from the chambers with his armed escort.  

   Impa remained behind just in time to see Princess Zelda sink weakly into her throne, burying her face into her hands. "Your Majesty, are you all right?" Impa inquired concern dotting her sharp red eyes. The Princess lifted her face from her hands, tears were streaming down. "Oh Impa what am I going to do?" she sobbed heavily. "My heart belongs to another ... I could not possibly imagine marrying such a vile man as King Ganondorf." Impa sighed heavily placing a comforting hand on her charge's shoulder. "Worry not Princess we will find a solution." 

***********************************************************************************************

     Meanwhile, Ganondorf was being escorted through the castle halls, a triumphant smirk graced his handsome features. At last, the Royal Family of Hyrule was cooperating with the Gerudo on his own terms. It was about time he had gained their respect after the countless cycles of war and demonic possession. With a Hylian noble or the Princess herself as his bride, Ganondorf had begun to imagine starting a peaceful life for himself maybe even raise a family. After all, it is high time I live my own life free of this damn curse. 

    Suddenly the scent of fresh cherry blossoms filled the King's nostrils. He sniffed the air wondering where that heavenly aroma originated from. Ganondorf's golden orbs focused upon a feminine figure clad in Hylian armor forged from the finest silver walking towards him. A grand helm crested with blue plumage feathers was tucked under one arm. A fine sword and shield of Hyrulean make hung at her back. H/l, h/c locks flowed steadily in the gentle breeze as she slowly passed the King. Ganondorf's heart skipped a beat as her e/c spheres caught a glimpse of him. She then increased her pace to a brisk walk leaving the King stupefied. Who in the name of Din was that?