Chapter 8 - Symphony

"A first kiss after five months means more than a first kiss after five minutes."

- Steve Kluger

Song: Symphony - Cody Fry

Gwyn found Nesta, Emerie, and Morrigan all talking in the kitchen, staying out of the patio area while it was prepared for their gathering.

Emerie was wearing a black blouse that fell off her shoulders and a pair of very form fitting onyx pants. Gwyn thought she may have been imagining it, but Morrigan seemed to be laughing a bit too hard at Emerie's jokes - her blood red lips contrasting beautifully with her perfect teeth. Cauldron, she was stunning. No wonder Azriel had pined after her...
Gwyn joined Nesta at the counter, and they helped themselves to a small platter of cheese, making pleasant conversation.

Occasionally, Gwyn would find herself glancing up at the kitchen doorway when someone walked past. She tried to resist the urge to hunt for Azriel, but it was almost instinctive.

"He'll be here," Nesta said.

Gwyn tried her very best to look confused. "Who?"

The eldest Archeron barked a laugh. "Who, she says." She fixed her with a knowing look. "You know who, Gwyn. Madja said it was best that he remain in bed, but he insisted on coming."

Feeling her cheeks heat, Gwyn shrugged, focusing her gaze on the cheese platter. "Oh."

Nesta didn't press the subject again. Instead she asked about Gwyn's progress with the bow, and if she'd be interested in competing. Gwyn told her that it wouldn't be much of a competition given she had only just taken up the weapon, but agreed all the same.

Eventually the High Lord and Lady spread word throughout the river house that the patio was ready. Footsteps could be heard all throughout the estate as Nesta's family began to make their way outside, and Gwyn found that her feet had been nailed to the floor. Nesta and Emerie stopped when they noticed she was no longer with them.

Emerie's voice was gentle. "Gwyn? You alright?"

Gwyn immediately nodded then shifted her gaze to Nesta. "Where's the restroom?"

Nesta's eyes narrowed skeptically. She pointed to the doorway behind Gwyn. "It's at the end of that hall..."

Forcing herself to move, Gwyn retreated towards the corridor with an appreciative smile.

"Gwyn," Nesta called, halting the priestess. She grimaced at her. "Don't make me come and get you."

Nesta succeeded in getting a genuine smile out of her. "I won't be long," the priestess said.

In the restroom, Gwyn applied some cool water to her neck and practiced a very short minute of mind stilling, trying to calm herself.

There weren't that many people. Not as many as had been at the ceremony with the caterers and musicians and florists. She recognized every face this time, unlike that day. And she now knew that the male that Amren had been with was named Varian.

Additionally, there wasn't as much pressure revolving around this gathering. It wasn't a once in a lifetime event. Amren would have plenty of birthday parties.

This evening would be infinitely better and less intense than the mating ceremony.

Gwyn rolled her shoulders, trying to shake off the lingering anxiety, then exited the bathroom.

This is a party, Gwyn.

"Thanks, Catrin," Gwyn muttered dryly.

Bracing herself, she turned towards the kitchen to make her way to the patio. Then she caught sight of Morrigan heading outside. She tugged a male behind her... Shadows swarmed around his shoulders. Gwyn couldn't make out what they were saying, but she heard Morrigan laugh as they exited.