Hope

**set after chapter 67 when Lucien and Elain make there way for the Mortal Lands**

Bonus Chapter 2/12

Hope

"You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly."

- Sam Keen

Song: The Call - Regina Spektor

"We'll rest here for the night," Lucien said, dropping the rucksack Tamlin had packed him to the grassy earth of the clearing.

He lowered himself to sit and rest his aching legs, closing his eyes and tilting his head back to let the buttery evening sun warm his face. He heard the skirts of Elain's dress rustle as she sat across from him.

"How much farther?" she asked softly.

Lucien wondered how she wasn't familiar with the journey given all the back and forth she'd supposedly been doing between the Mortal Lands and Prythian during her partnership with Graysen. Then again, they were heading to Graysen's Estate, not the old Archeron mansion.

"We should arrive late tomorrow night. I'd like to sneak you in and avoid any contact with Graysen's men," Lucien said blithely. "After Jurian and I dispatch the appropriate punishments to the men and once Vassa returns, we can set out to Vallahan."

"You think the men would attempt retaliation if they saw me?" Elain asked in a timid voice.

Lucien opened his eyes and fixed her with a look. "You betrayed them and killed their leader."

She flinched at that, then began fiddling with a blade of grass.

Lucien grimaced, trying to lighten the mood. "Not that I'm complaining..."

Elain's somber expression did not brighten. She only swallowed, continuing to pluck at the emerald grass she sat upon, her traveling cloak pooling around her. Lucien frowned, then felt like a fool for his grief. For giving her his sympathy. She had tried to use Gwyn — whom Lucien had found to be quite amiable — to enslave her sister, his friend. All for some delusion of a happily ever after with a man who hated her. Lucien should be cold to Elain. Lucien should act as the jailer he was to her.

But every time he attempted to keep his distance, to keep her at arm's length from his heart, Lucien found his resolve feeble. He tried to make conversation. He tried to be casual. And all because he couldn't erase the memory of what she'd done. She'd sought him out before she ever endeavored to win back Graysen. It had been him, Lucien, that she'd initially pursued. And gods dammit it gave him hope. No matter how hard he tried to stamp it out he couldn't. He just couldn't.

Lucien exhaled and turned his gaze to the rolling hills ahead of them, the golden sun that was making its descent. "Why did you come looking for me, Elain?" he asked evenly. "After all that time. Why then?"

Elain was silent and for a moment he thought she may not answer. But then... "Because I saw something. A vision. Of us."

That much he knew. Gwyneth Berdara had confided that in him. Although having confirmation from Elain certainly made it easier to believe the part-nymph had been telling him the truth and not just trying to soothe his wounded ego. The question still remained: what had she seen?

He could see Elain looking at him out of the corner of his eye. "You want to know what I saw." It wasn't a question.

Lucien paused for a moment, chewing on the truth and deciding how best to phrase it. He was not out of practice as a courtier, but Elain did have a way of flustering him. With those big brown eyes and the way she watched him with a patience to rival his own. But more than anything, it was that haunted look of longing he caught in her expression. One he doubted her family ever saw — or looked at her long enough to notice. Elain wanted. What exactly she wanted Lucien was not sure. And he didn't dare hope it was him.