NINE ; concrete jungle

not proofread cause i couldnt care less

New York was beautiful. It reminded Syd of Charlotte Town, although the buildings were taller and the people were less snotty.

The S.S. Primrose had made one of those rare quick stops where there wasn't much work to do and gave time for the workers to enjoy their day without the constant exhaustion of working the ship.

Sydney had separated from Bash and Gilbert, Bash wanting to sleep longer than two hours for the first time in years, Gilbert had gone off exploring. Syd sat on the edge of a random building, overlooking the busy crowded street.

Women in big puffed sleeves and large floral hats walked in pairs and married couples strolled side by side. Little children huddled around each other in alleyways playing with marbles and sticks. Young boys in flat caps and large messenger bags ran about, offering today's newspaper to the people they ran by.

Horse-drawn carriages and modern cars drove slowly by, avoiding others who walked across the street.

Sydney thought she would have been used to loud city noises by now, having lived in Charlotte Town her whole life and having lived on the deafening ship for almost a year. But New York was somethin' else.

People yelling, men and women laughing loudly, children giggling and playing, horses' hooves clacking against the concrete, the loud, obnoxious sounds of the car engines squeaking and grumbling.

This city should repulse Syd. But somehow, as she looked down at the lively city, she felt at peace.

The air was neither warm nor cold, but perfectly chilly against her skin. The sun beat down at Syd, creating a subtle, comfortable warmth. Her hair glowed in the setting sun, the angelic blonde looking fiery and golden.

Despite all the noise, Syd could hear her soft breathing and her calm heartbeat.

This feeling of complete bliss was somewhat of a familiar feeling, it was a sentiment she had started feeling regularly after becoming friends with Gilbert... and Bash of course.

Warmth and content surrounded the girl as she lay back on her hands. Little rocks dug into the calloused palms of her hands, but Syd couldn't bring herself to care. Her ankles were locked and slowly swinging back in forth in the air. Her bright eyes were closed.

"Living on the edge I see."

Syd's head and eyes shot at the sound of the teasing voice.

"What's life without a little danger." Syd retorted with subtle smirk, opening her eyes to see a smirking Gilbert standing next to her. Syd's head was still thrown back and the sun beamed down at her, making her eyes water and squint, Gilbert was only half visible but still managed to look beautiful.

They both laughed, Gilbert carefully moving to sit next to her.

Gilbert seemed just as entranced by the glowing sun as she just was as Sydney looked at him. Everything about him was simply entrancing to her. The sharpness of his jawline contrasted the softness of the slope of his nose. The sun illuminated his side profile, creating a soft, golden glow.

Gilbert Blythe was ethereal.

Feeling a pair of eyes on him, Gilbert turned his head to catch Syd staring up at him with awe in his sparkling eyes. In such a trance from the curly haired boy next to her, Syd hadn't even realized she had been caught until a light chuckle left his lips.

Her face flared up and a rosey red brushed her cheeks. Syd cleared her throat quite awkwardly, keeping eye contact for a split second before turning back to face the tall, grey buildings.