NINETEEN ; deja vu

It felt a little anticlimactic when Sydney finally arrived

It felt a little anticlimactic when Sydney finally arrived. Life in Charlotte Town went on without her, the people and businesses grew like they did before. Nothing had really changed.

But Syd had, and she couldn't get over the pit of sadness deep down in her stomach, no matter how much she pushed it down and plastered a smile on it.

"You alright, Syd?" Gilbert placed his hand on her shoulder, a soft furrow in his brows showed his genuine concern. Instead of replying, Sydney smiled and nodded her head, her gaze falling from building to building that seemed so familiar yet so foreign.

"Alright," He started, digging his hand into his coat pocket and pulling out a list, "We should split up to get things done faster."

Syd nodded her head as he started assigning himself, Sydney, and Bash errands to run and food or supplies to buy. She used her own pencil and paper to write her part down as to forget but Bash, who stood next to Syd, simply made a mental note of eveything.

"...and that store's kind of hidden, it's a maze getting there." Gilbert was invested in giving Sydney directions to where she could buy almonds at a more reasonable price than at the drugstore. "First, you turn the corner of Molly's, then you go straight until you see the red and blue graffiti-- not the red and purple-- then you take a left..."

Gilbert rambled off, his hand flying in the air, moving right and left, mimicking the turns. Sydney only stood there trying to bite down her smile and keep down her laugh as she nodded along.

"How long are you going to let him go off like this?" Bash whispered in her ear only loud enough for her to hear but his amusement was evident.

"He'll figure it out eventually." Syd snickered.

"Leave some of his dignity intact, please, Salem." Bash winked, shaking his head playfully before walking off.

"Well that would spoil the fun." She pouted.

Suddenly, Gilbert's hands stilled in the air as he realized.

"Wait.."

Sydney only chuckled softly and put her pencil and paper back into her dress pocket, walking off past Gilbert with a simple pat on the back.

Sydney in fact, grew up in Charlotte Town.

__

Walking the streets of Charlotte Town once again after such a long time gave Sydney a strange feeling that she couldn't quite describe.

It felt like everyone's eyes were on her, whispering things about her return. And while a few people were doing a double take or simply turning their heads to look at her while she walked by, but no one payed much attention otherwise.

Nothing had changed yet everything had changed.

Eveytime Syd walked past a dark window, she was reminded of all the physical changes she had went through since she had left.