Chapter 9: Reunited

"Oh god," he whispers. My old friend- flesh and blood- steps into my room. Slowly. Like he's worried about scaring me. His tear-filled eyes stare into mine, then flick down to my son. "Oh my god." His eyes widen before meeting mine again. His mouth hangs open like he doesn't know what to say.

I don't think I ever saw him look so speechless.

Still clutching Robin tightly to my body, I step forward and throw my free arm around Mason.

It's like a switch is flipped. One moment his body is stiff as a statue, and the next his arms are wrapped around me.

I hadn't realized how much I craved human touch. The kind of touch that didn't have an ulterior motive. The kind of touch that doesn't come from a child. I was never starving for that kind of touch.

After all these years, all I wanted- needed- was a friend.

The hug only breaks when Robin pushes Mason away with a frown on his face. Robin doesn't know this strange man. Before he got away, my son had never even seen anyone that wasn't me or Michael.

"Mason. This is my son, Robin Levi." Mason leans down and smiles sweetly at my son. Robin leans his head against my chest. "Rob," I whisper, "This is Mason. He's a friend," I say, meeting Mason's eyes again. "You've been... You've been looking for me? All this time?"

He smiles a bit. "Well, I knew you wouldn't just disappear. Not when I was gonna come and get you out of that place," he says as tears glint in his eyes.

"It happened on the way home. The guy hid in the back seat and waited until we were in the car."

I should be crying, but I'm all cried out from seeing my son alive. And it all seems so long ago. I haven't thought about that day in years. Other memories eclipsed the feeling of adrenaline when I had the gun in my hands.

I shake my head, trying to get rid of the thought.

"So much has happened..." I say quietly as I look Mason over. He looks good. He's tall, though not in a scary way. He has put on some lean muscle since high school. I could tell by the hug because it's all hidden under his winter coat.

I suddenly feel ashamed of how I look and smell. "I wish I wasn't gross right now, because I really want another hug."

Mason laughs and hugs me again, careful not to crush Robin between the two of us. "September, I'm just happy you're alive. Everyone thought I was crazy." He pulls back and pushes my hair out of my face. "Listen. Do you have a place to stay after you're out of here?"

I look down at Robin, shake my head, then look back up at Mason.

"You do now," he says, patting my shoulder. "My boyfriend and I have plenty of room at our place. You can stay as long as you need."

I smile softly. "Thank you." Without a second thought, I throw my arms around him for another hug. "You-you have no idea how much this means to me."

"I'm sure I have an idea," Mason assures me as he gently pats my back. "I work at the police station back home. We've seen some things. Believe me, I can imagine what a little help means to you."

My smile grows a bit and there is a long moment of silence where Mason and I are just looking at each other.

If it wasn't for him standing right in front of me, I might have thought all this was a dream. That at any moment I'll wake up in the basement with Michael on top of me. Seeing Mason looking so different... that's enough to assure me that this is all real.

Mason is the one to break the silence. "So, I'm guessing you're hungry. And hospital food isn't very good. You want me to bring you something? Anything you want."

"Umm..." My stomach growls and I look down at Robin. "Do you know how long it's been since I had a burrito?"

"Upward of five years?" Mason answers with a raise of his eyebrows.

"Really?" I ask with a frown. "Has it really been that long?" My eyes go down to Robin.

Yes.

I must've been captive for a year before my baby was born. Kidnapped in the summer of 1998. Found out I was pregnant on September 1st- my birthday. Robin was born May 16th. Now it's winter.

Five years... It feels like I have been gone for so much longer than that. It seems like a lifetime ago, when we stood in that store, and my fears consisted of my father and that clown from It.

Mason nods. "Yeah. But you're back now. That's the important thing." He smiles softly. "Now you can really live. Without fear."

My eyes flick back up to look at Mason. "No. Not yet," I say quietly. "He's still out there. And I think he knew the police were coming."

The frown Mason gives me makes me wish I hadn't said anything. The look in his eyes is almost pure fear. He shakes his head. "We know. But how could he have known? There were no news reports about the search until after you were found."

"Mason." I finally set my son down on the bed and brush my fingers through his hair. "You don't know him. After I told Robin to run, Michael was obsessed with..." I fold my arms protectively across my chest. "With..."

"September. Just breathe. Take your time." His voice is gentle.

I take a deep breath as tears prick my eyes. "He spent every day forcing himself on me. He wanted me to give him another baby. Then he just..." I think back to the moment I knew for a fact that he wasn't coming back. "He just stopped. He disappeared. That's so unlike him." I can't stop a couple tears from sliding down my face.

Mason reaches into his jacket and pulls out a handkerchief. And honest-to-god handkerchief. With blue and purple stripes. I take it and wipe my eyes.

"Thanks," I say quietly.

"Of course. Better to be prepared than to wish you had been," he says with a soft smile.

I smile back and wipe the tear streaks from my cheeks.

"We'll find him. The detectives on the case will need a sketch from you so they can put it out to the press."

"A sketch? Mason, there are so many photos in the house. And videos."

He shakes his head. "Whoever was there cleaned the whole place out. They found empty file cabinets, but no documents. They found holes in the walls, but no pictures. And we are sure that the house wasn't his. The man who owned it hasn't been seen by locals in years and he would be at least eighty years old now."

"Definitely not him." I add. "Michael is in his thirties."

Mason nods. "Somehow, he knew the police were coming for him."

I sit down on the bed and rub my eyes tiredly. Robin curls up with his head in my lap. Mason takes a seat next to me.

"We'll find him, September," he says, patting my shoulder reassuringly. "Just tell us everything you can remember."