Chapter 3 - Choosing A Side

<<<<<Timeskip 70 years>>>>>

Chaos was furious. She had spent the last 70 years finding absolutely no leads on Vita Nova. It didn't help to alleviate her anger when he told her that the only reason she had found him at the scene of his assassination was because he had been leaving a trail for the last 50 years. He had left a pattern, be it a very erratic one, of the order of his assassinations. But now after Chaos' 'plan' he had completely gone off the radar, as well as his Angeli Mortis.

Chaos was wandering around the planet Kahlin, checking up on the people. She knew the planet had a tyrannical ruler, so she had a sliver of hope that she might encounter Vita Nova. Her hope grew exponentially when she heard the keep horn sound 4 times, signaling that their ruler was dead.

Chaos began to grow frantic, fearing that this might be her one and only opportunity to speak to Vita, provided he was the one here and also provided that there was actually an assassination of the king as opposed to him dying from something more natural.

The worries disappeared when she saw a figure dressed all in black disappearing into the forest. Chaos knew Vita Nova did not value or appreciate glory. His style was more to slip into the shadows and avoid the commotion.

Chaos discreetly followed him, hiding her aura. Well at least she thought she was being discreet until he spoke in a soft yet authoritative voice, "Sup."

She grimaced slightly at the informality of his greeting, but responded nonetheless, "Look, I just want to talk."

The man hesitated for a moment before curtly replying, "Very well."

He sat down and crossed his legs.

Chaos spoke in a rapid fire way, the opposite of her usually calm, regal demeanor, "Who actually are you? Why do you only assassinate the evil people of the universe, not that I'm complaining, but why? Why do you and your Mortis stay hidden? There are so many people who would love to employ your services yet you deny them even the knowledge on how to find you? And why won't you join my Army and become my Royal?" Chaos breathed a harsh breath of relief as she finished her barrage of questions.

In response, Vita Nova let out a small, almost indistinguishable chuckle as he spoke, "In response to your many questions, I am what I am, nothing more, nothing less. I kill the evil people of the universe because I despise those who commit unforgivable crimes. My Mortis and I stay hidden because we do not wish to be assaulted by thousands of requests for us to do things by petty leaders, and I believe that also answers the next question. And to answer your last question, I have been considering becoming your Royal and your commander but I wish to first evaluate if you, your primordial council and your Royals are worthy of my services. I do not work with those that place their own arrogance over the will to protect others." He finished his last sentence with a harsh growl.

"I wish to spend 2 hours first with the Royals, and then you may call a council meeting at 7pm. So I will arrive at 5pm. I will go to the gate of your city and tell them that I was brought personally by you, so therefore the Royals will be obligated to give me a tour and such. I understand you have some fallen demigods in your army, so I shall change my appearance and features accordingly."

And before Chaos could say anything, he disappeared in a column of flames.

<<<<< a few hours late>>>>>

The time was 5pm, an average looking man walked up to the gate of the city. He was well built, muscular but not too much and he stood at about 6"5. Two Royals were waiting for him at the gate, having been told by Chaos to greet him personally and to introduce him to the other Royals.