𝟎𝟏𝟗. deja vu

ANCHOR

____________

"CHIMERAS," STILINSKI VOICES, drawing a red X across Tracy's picture. He and the three teenagers stare at the cork board intently.

"Two dead Chimeras," Stiles remarks.

"And eight new ones," Isaac reminds them as they nod in acknowledgment.

Stiles purses his lips. "So, that's ten in all—"

"I'm thinking maybe eleven," the Sheriff interrupts, pinning another photograph next to the other ones. Donovan.

"Our station tech guys confirmed something for me... They said, both the holding cell lock and cameras could have malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic." He pauses, grabbing one of the extra novels off of the desk. "You said that, uh, these guys—"

"Dread Doctors," Isaac corrects. Malia looks up at him briefly with a grateful expression spread across her features.

Stilinski wrinkles his forehead. "Are we really calling them that?"

"So they broke Donovan out?" Malia asks, quickly dismissing his question.

"It's how they got into Eichen, isn't it?"

The girl stares at the young adult's face before stepping closer to the board. "Donovan's a Chimera."

"Yeah, but... is he a failure like Lucas and Tracy?" The Sheriff inquires.

"If he is, he's probably dead." Malia takes the red marker in her hand and uncaps it, just about to draw a cross on the psychotic boy's face.

However, Stilinski stops her. "Not until I've seen a body."

Isaac lets out a quiet groan from his spot next to Stiles toward the back of the room.

The Sheriff turns to address his son. "You're uncharacteristically quiet.

"Yeah... Sorry, I'm, uh— I'm just trying to think about it," Stiles apologizes and tries to refocus. "Uh, these are all teenagers, right? So, now shouldn't we be trying to figure out why these teenager? If the Dread Doctors, if they went through all that: burying them, killing them, breaking them out of jail—"

"They couldn't have been chosen at random," Stiles' father concludes.

Isaac's features form into an uncomfortable expression and he shifts his weight from one foot to the other. "They had to have something in common."

"Something that made them right for this experiment."

"Something that made them special."

____________

The pack stares at all the copies of packets spread across the living room table, the Dread Doctors on the front of each one.

"My mom's book club usually has more wine," Lydia remarks as she purses her lips.

Stiles quickly retorts. "Well, they also probably didn't read books that cause violent hallucinations."

"That's why Malia's here," Scott comments.

"So none of us go running into traffic?" Kira inquires, to which Scott sighs deeply.

"Or worse."

"Like what happened to Judy," Malia says, gesturing to the book. Everyone looks at her with a raised brow. "Chapter fourteen."