𝟎𝟐𝟎. hallucinations

ANCHOR

____________

ALLISON, LYDIA, ISAAC, and Malia stand in the parking lot of Beacon Hills High School beside Parrish as he opens the trunk of his car to reveal three signal jammers. The werecoyote furrows her brows and reaches down, taking one into her grasp.

"We're betting our lives on these?"

"I think we're betting Hayden's life of them," Allison replies in a neutral tone.

Isaac inhales and sighs. "I'm glad I've lost my virginity, then."

Everybody sends him a glare. Except for Allison, who rolls her eyes in both annoyance and irritation. A tint of red paints her cheeks.

"Yeah, well, I'm glad I brought my gun," Parrish states. He passes the other two jammers to Allison and Lydia, closing the trunk. The deputy goes to the driver's side of his vehicle and gets in, leaving the teenagers to set up the devices themselves.

They enter the school and separate, finding subtle areas to place the signal jammers for the Dread Doctors. Isaac follows Malia, while Allison and Lydia split up in different directions.

"Are you gonna be okay?"

Malia walks over to one of the trophy cases in the hall, placuing the device on top and flipping the switch. "Yeah, why?"

"Well, I... I don't know," he stammers. Malia shuffles on her feet, watching him with expectant eyes. Isaac inhales through his nose, seemingly nervous about his next words. "Are we really just not gonna talk about it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Lia, come on. I told you I wouldn't say anything but... it's been a week."

The girl sighs, "I just... he hasn't said anything. To anyone. We don't even know how he got it either, so why should we ask?" Malia throws her hands out at her sides. "It isn't our business."

"I know but..." the beta hesitates, most likely thinking if it's even worth it— especially with everything going on right now. Isaac eventually gives up, "Just be careful."

"I will."

As Isaac nods and makes his way to meet the Scott and Lydia in the locker rooms, Malia starts to pace in the hall. She looks around her, beginning to wonder if or when the Dread Doctors will make their appearance.

They always seem to know the pack's every move. It's unsettling how easy it is for them to find them, especially with such preparation, without actually being able to be out in broad daylight.

Light footsteps echo off the tiles, and the hairs on the back of Malia's neck stand up as she furrows her brows. When they're close enough for her to strike, the werecoyote whirls around to come face to face with her best friend.

"Sorry!" Allison exclaims, eyes wide in surprise. "I'm sorry, I just wanted to check on you."

Malia's shoulders relax and she shakes her head. "No, it's fine. Sorry, I... yeah."

"I get it," the brunette offers as she tries to make conversation in the uncomfortable scene. "They're scary, like terrifying."

"Yeah, we both know."

Allison purses her lips and tries to form what looks like a smile, but it comes out as more of a frown. Soon enough, the pair starts to pace the hallway in silence. They find each other's presence comforting, even with no words being exchanged between them.