One

Five years ago, an abnormal titan smashed through the wall of Shiganshina and wall Maria, exposing the entire area to Titans. Since then, humanity has been struggling, what with much of their land gone and many more people in a smaller area.

For five years, people have struggled, clawing its way through each and every day. People have died, be it starving or exposure or disease. There simply was not enough room for people in wall Rose and Sina.

Five years ago, humanity took a huge blow.

And today, it would take another one. But it would also gain everything from it.

~*~

The morning of the attack, the Scout Regiment was sent on a mission. Of course, no one knew what would happen in the coming hours. Although, you had woken up that morning with an eerie feeling. You felt uneasy. But you just assumed it was because you had been sick for the last week.

As you walked through the streets of Trost with the rest of the Scout regiment, you exchange light conversation with your squad.

"Alright Squad, ready for another mission?" You glance behind you to where Isobel is putting her hair up.

"Ready as ever, Captain," the girl says, tightening her ponytail.

Zak, a man with dark hair, turned to you. "What's your kill goal for today, Y/N?"

You shrug. "I'm hoping to try and get a new personal best. Hopefully over 30 this time. But, you never know."

"I bet I can get 30," Zak says.

Kris scoffs. "Zak, with cockiness like that, you're liable to get in over your head. Remember last time when you got over-confident?"

You laugh as Zak shouts an insult at them. "It wasn't that funny, Kris!"

"I agree," Aimee says, coming up from behind you. Her hair is braided today, and some baby hairs are flying out. "I was the one who had to catch his unconscious ass. He's heavy."

"Are you calling me fat?"

"Calm down, kids," you mutter. "Don't kill each other while I go talk to Levi." You shake your reins and your horse trots towards Levi's.

"What's your team shouting about now?" he asks, glancing towards you from the corner of his eye.

You sigh. "Zak is just being hotheaded as usual. But hey. He's a lot better than a few years ago. God, he was insufferable."

Levi doesn't laugh, but the corner of his lip tilts up just the slightest.

"That's right, Commander Erwin!" someone shouts from the crowd. "Give those ugly bastards a thrashing!"

"Look. It's Captain Levi," someone else says. "They say he's like an entire brigade unto himself!"

Levi scoffs and with a roll of his eyes, murmurs, "Spare me."

"Aw, Levi." You frown and lean over to lightly punch his arm. "Still not used to all the praise?"

"I doubt I ever will get used to it," your friend says.

"Don't worry." Hange appears next to you, her hair in a high ponytail. "That envy in everyone's eyes will go away once they learn he's a clean freak."

Levi doesn't say anything and turns to you. "What about you, Y/N?"

"What about me?"

Levi is about to answer, but then there's a shout from the crowd. "It's Captain Y/N."