Prologue

She read a book while they were driving. She had to suppress a smile when he started tapping his fingers in annoyance; she had already finished the page but it was funny to make him wait. She shot him a sideways glance through the corners of her eyes. He wore an agitated expression and she snorted at the sight of it. She quickly covered her mouth with her hand in an attempt to stifle the giggles.

"For god's sake, Hope, just turn the bloody page."

"I told you that you should've brought a book."

Greta watched the pair with amusement. She laughed when Klaus tried to yank the book out of Hope's hands, and then laughed harder when Hope pulled it just out of reach.

"You know, for the most powerful creature in the world, you're not that bright." Hope mumbled, as she scooted away from Klaus.

"Mind your tongue. I'm your father." He said sternly.

"Whatever."

Klaus couldn't help but let a smile graze his lips.

You can imagine his confusion the day a 16 year old girl showed up on his doorstep, talking nonsense about jumping into something called "malivore". It took him a month and many witch tests for him to accept that she was his daughter from the future. She showed him all of her memories as well.

It was strange at first. He hadn't loved someone for a very long time, but it wasn't that that scared him; it was the fact that she loved him. He had never truly felt unconditional love before.

The car pulled to a stop. Hope let out a dramatic sigh and closed her book.

"It's time to go, sweetheart. I'll see you soon-even if it's not in this body." Klaus teased.

Hope rolled her eyes and gave him a kiss on the cheek before hopping out of the car.

Maddox linked their arms together and led the way to Alaric's apartment. She only had two suitcases but Maddox was persistent on not letting her carry one.

When they got into the apartment, Maddox put all of her things in Alaric's room. It was clear to Hope that that's where she would be staying for the majority of their time in Mystic Falls, for safety purposes of course. She had been with Klaus for two years and nobody even knew she existed.

She sat down on the bedroom floor and started to sketch. Her father never let her help with anything, even though she was literally the most powerful witch to walk the earth.

Maddox left to retrieve Katherine and Alaric. He arrived back about an hour later with Kathrine folded over his shoulder. He dropped her unconscious body on the floor with a heavy thud.

Maddox then left and came back, placing Alaric down on the floor beside Kathrine. Hope smiled at the sight of him, remembering the last time that they had spoke.

"This is the part where you tell me you're proud of me." Hope lightly spoke through tears.

She heard a shaky breath over the phone.

"You know I'm proud of you. You know it."

She had to bite her lip to contain a sob.

"What is it you need me to do?" He questioned softly.

"Call maintenance. Have them pack up my room, take my files, and all those notes I know you keep about me, and burn them. Along with Landon's Journal." She demanded, her voice still broken and unsteady.

"Listen, if you want to erase yourself, that's on you, ok? But you cannot ask me to do it too." Alaric tried to keep his voice collected as he spoke.

"I'm sorry, Dr. Saltzman."

She felt nervous just seeing his face again. He looked so young.

Katherine stirred awake when Maddox was about done with the spell. She sat up on her elbows and looked around, it took her a moment to notice Hope lounging on the couch. Katherine tilted her head curiously.

Her attention discarded Hope when Alaric came to. He rose slowly. Katherine sped to the door but was stopped by the invisible barrier surrounding the apartment.

"Zdravei, Katerina." Alaric cupped her face with a smirk.

"How I have missed you."

"Klaus." She spoke, with wide terrified eyes of fear.

Hope rolled her eyes at her dad's dramatics. She lifted herself from the couch and started towards Alaric's room.

"I'm going to bed, goodnight." She announced, walking into the room without another word.

Katherine, of course, became more curious.