ACT TWO, SCENE TWO

( enter NATHAN, TIA INGLESA & GINÉS )

behind the door stand an old woman holding her dog and a young man anxious about every word he hears from the conversation that takes place in the other room. the boy, looking through the keyhole, has eyes of innocence but there's still blood under his fingernails. everyone knows, they pretend not to notice.

NATHAN ―― what are they talking about?

TIA INGLESA shh ―― i'm trying to hear it.

GINÉS you two are like some old ladies, escuchando conversaciones ajenas.

TIA INGLESA shh ―― what's wrong about wanting to know what kind of man is dulcinea marrying?

GINÉS oh, so you're listening behind a door for her then? ―― certainly not for your own entertainment?

TIA INGLESA ―― certainly not!

NATHAN wait, i hear something. it's like someone is co――

( enter HECTOR )

HECTOR joder! ―― que susto, what the hell do you think you're doing?

NATHAN uh ―― examinating the door?

HECTOR i'll pretend to believe that.

TIA INGLESA we wanted to know if that man is worthy of our dulcinea.

HECTOR don't worry about her ―― i worry about him. that boy is well-mannered and harmless, dulcinea rarely is.

GINÉS eh ―― girls these days only think about murder and whatever.

HECTOR you're drunk, ginés ――

GINÉS that i am.

HECTOR why don't you go take a nap before you mess this up even more?

GINÉS alright ―― buenas noches.

NATHAN ―― it's two in the afternoon ――

HECTOR buenas noches.

( exit GINÉS )

TIA INGLESA one less problem to worry about ――

NATHAN ―― what are those two talking about?

HECTOR don't talk to me ――

TIA INGLESA it's probably nothing we should worry about.

NATHAN what's wrong with you?

HECTOR do you want a list or would you rather look at yourself in a mirror?

TIA INGLESA ―― that was a bit too harsh.

HECTOR dulcinea managed annoy me.

NATHAN well, then ―― don't make me pay for it, i did nothing to deserve it.

HECTOR ―― that's funny.

TIA INGLESA what is it?

HECTOR him ―― this idiota infantil apparently never does anything to deserve it. he never does anything wrong and it's always the other's fault.

NATHAN it was an accident.

HECTOR i really don't care anymore.

( HECTOR lights up his pipe )

TIA INGLESA their mother didn't want anyone to smoke inside.

HECTOR ―― i'm lucky she's dead, then.

TIA INGLESA hector! ―― what's wrong with you?

HECTOR nothing, just tired ―― i'm starting to see dulcinea has all right to want you dead.

NATHAN ―― you want me dead now?

HECTOR i don't ―― but i understand why dulcinea does.

TIA INGLESA this is getting a bit out of hand, why don't we have a nice cup of tea and ――

NATHAN how can you say that? you're my father, you should stand with me.

HECTOR i did, i do ―― i lost my daughter for you.

NATHAN your daughter was already lost to you.

TIA INGLESA oh, dear ―― you shouldn't have said that.

NATHAN it's the truth. you were never around, then mother divorced you and you found a new family ―― no wonder claire and albert think of you more as a father than we do.

HECTOR they are not my children.

NATHAN they call you father ―― when was the last time dulce called you father?

HECTOR ―― stop.

NATHAN and it's not only that, she can barely stand you ――

HECTOR ―― no, don't.

NATHAN she loved mother and she didn't even cry at her funeral ―― in yours i think you could consider yourself lucky if she decided to spit on your grave.

TIA INGLESA ――nathaniel belmonte castro! how dare you!

HECTOR it's alright, mary ―― you see, i defended you, like eve defended cain. i hid all the proves that could make it seem as if it was more than an accident, i convinced your sister to shut it ―― and i did it all to protect my son.

NATHAN ――father,

HECTOR no ―― you said it yourself ―― i am no father to you, and to be honest i don't want to be. i love dulce, i do despite it all ―― i do not love you, not at all.

NATHAN father, please ――

HECTOR dulcinea was right, if cutting my wrists and bleeding out all the blood that links us would make me stop being your father, i would do it ―― i can't stand the sight of you.

NATHAN no ―― papá ―― don't.

HECTOR don't call me that, and don't you dare to cry ―― you are not the victim of this tragedy.

NATHAN i am your son.

HECTOR you killed your mother ―― you are nobody's son.

( exit NATHAN )

TIA INGLESA are you happy now? what will be of this family? ―― strangers who can't stand one another?

HECTOR i thought that was the definition of family.

TIA INGLESA nathan is a good boy ――

HECTOR that doesn't mean he's a good son.

TIA INGLESA ――did he really do it?

HECTOR he did.

TIA INGLESA what are you going to do now, hector?

HECTOR the only thing i know how to do ―― smoke until my lungs rot.

( exit HECTOR )