ACT TWO, SCENE SEVEN

(enter NATHAN)

grief leaks through the bedroom door. only a memory remains of spring, of the girl in the blue dress and the white cotton turned red. the fool cries and shouts and blames, anyone but himself. there, in the lament, he begs for help; and there, in the darkness, there's a knock and the devil comes in.

NATHAN it isn't fair, it isn't fair ―― i was taught to be the first born, i was taught to be a man. ―― now they say i overstepped. they taught me to be this way, i didn't chose this ―― it isn't fair.

(enter TOM)

TOM is anyone there?

NATHAN ―― what do you want?

TOM nothing, i was just roaming around.

NATHAN this is my mother's funeral, why are you even here?

TOM ah, don't you know? i was invited.

NATHAN yes, by my father――

TOM by another, not by him. i was invited two weeks ago, and i talked about marriage months before you mother was gone.

NATHAN then who? ―― no!

TOM yes ―― around may this conversation took place. listen carefully if you may.

NATHAN around may you say? ―― julia died that day.

TOM and who is this julia?

NATHAN no-one.

TOM really? it must be someone.

NATHAN it isn't. ―― i don't like you, why would mother want dulcinea to marry you?

TOM she wanted her in a leash ―― so to speak.

NATHAN ―― why?

TOM didn't say, maybe this julia will care to explain.

NATHAN you know?

TOM i know you killed your mother, but then again, everybody knows that ―― but if you're talking about may's fate, i know nothing of the late.

NATHAN does dulce know?

TOM she hates you, don't you know?

NATHAN yes, but does she know?

TOM your mother wanted to send her away for a reason, hence the treason.

NATHAN i never meant to ―― i always took what i wanted, took it for granted. it was mine to take and mine to keep, everyone and every thing. i had the world at my feet.

TOM and now all you do is weep.

NATHAN you're mocking my pain.

TOM no, no, no. i'm mocking you. ―― your mother died because you couldn't accept the world doesn't revolve around you.

NATHAN it's her fault! she was the one to always defend me! i never took the blame because she was always there to make sure i didn't pay!

TOM you're an idiot.

NATHAN she never told me what was right and wrong ―― then suddenly she was punishing me, shouting at me ―― and then, she was gone.

TOM ―― no wonder your sister wants you dead.

NATHAN no ―― i ―― i'm sorry, it isn't fair ―― i didn't meant to, it was a mistake ―― i'd do anything to fix this.

TOM there's nothing you can do to fix it.

NATHAN no ―― no ―― please, there must be something, a way out of this.

TOM what is done, is done ―― there's only one way out of this.

NATHAN ―― and what is it?

(TOM takes out of his pocket a small bottle filled with pills)

TOM the salvation traitors often seek.