Chapter 4

When they arrived at Felix's house, Natalia helped Jake sit down. She could tell he was still weak, still recovering from being turned into clay. Once she knew he was comfortable, she turned her attention to Felix, who was standing over by the doorway. Ellen, she noticed, chose to stay on the outskirts of the room, away from Felix. Natalia felt sorry for both her and Felix. She could tell that he didn't want to push her away, just like Jake had done to her.

"So, I'm here. Now tell me what's going on."

Felix sighed. He'd tried to avoid this when she had seen Andy disappear. He knew Jake liked her and getting her involved with magic was dangerous and could potentially lead to her getting harmed. He didn't want to be responsible for that. Not after he had been responsible for what had happened to the boys in the first place. Sitting down opposite Natalia, he made himself comfortable before he began.

"It all started with the school excursion. We got lost in the forest. Without realising it, I cast a spell and it took us to another world. Andy called it an alternate universe. None of us existed over there; we hadn't been born. Everything was the same apart from a few details that were connected to us. We found a way back through magic and when we got back to our world; to here, all of us discovered we had magical powers. In the forest, Andy was practising magic he didn't understand. He's disappeared, but we don't know where he is."

Turning to Jake, Natalia addressed him.

"So, when you went missing, you were in a different universe?"

Taking her hands in his, Jake nodded. From across the room, Ellen scoffed. Felix turned and addressed her, his voice firm, but sincere.

"Look, I know it's hard to believe but it's all true."

"Why didn't you tell me, Jake? I would have believed you. With some of the things I've seen, magic would have made sense." Natalia questioned.

Jake sighed and shook his head,

"I didn't want you to get hurt. Magic is dangerous; we were constantly being chased by a demon trying to kill us in the other world. I wanted to keep you safe."

"I get that, but I can make my own mind up. Please don't think you have to keep things from me, just because you want to protect me. I'm perfectly capable of protecting myself."

Hanging his head, Jake sighed.

"I know. I just..."

He was cut off by Felix.

"You can definitely handle yourself. Of all of us, you were probably the strongest. I could tell you were freaking out, yet you still held yourself together for Jake. I'm pretty sure you could handle anything thrown at you."

Clearly tired of being left out of the conversation, Sam piped up. He was standing in the corner of the room, leaning against the wall.

"Yeah dude, you were awesome!"

Natalia chuckled.

"Thanks."

Felix glanced at Jake, sharing a silent confirmation before returning his attention to Natalia.

"So, now you know about us, our world and how dangerous we are. I should ask you; are you prepared to help us. I'm sure you already know, but I want to tell you again, it's dangerous. Magic isn't as fun and mystical as people think. It's dangerous. And it very nearly got all of us killed. So, knowing that, do you want to join us?"

Jake squeezed her hand.

"I get it if you don't want to, like Felix says, it's dangerous and I don't want you to get hurt."

Natalia nodded.

"Thanks for telling me, really. I'm glad I know the truth now, but I don't want to be brought into this. When I moved to Bremin, I didn't want to get involved in anything. I still want to know how you get on with finding Andy, but I don't want to be part of it."

Felix nodded.

"That's fine. I don't want to drag you into anything when you're unwilling."

Jake smiled.

"I'm glad you know though. I don't have to hide it anymore. It was so hard before; I wanted to keep you safe, but I didn't want to pretend around you."

Natalia laughed.

"Forget about it. I get it now; you don't have to apologise. If I had a secret like that, I'd want to hide it too."

Jake joined in, happy that she was feeling ok. After a few minutes, the laughter died down and a comfortable silence settled in the room, only to be broken by Natalia.

"I should go. My dad will be wondering where I am. I should get back before he starts getting worried. Thanks for today, and thanks for telling me Felix. Seriously, I appreciate it."

As she reached the door, Jake stood up.

"I'll walk you home. Just to make sure you're ok."

Felix nodded, before sharing a knowing smile with Sam.

"Come back though, we need to try to find Andy."

Jake nodded, shutting the door, but not before he heard Sam chuckling.

"He so fancies her."

Walking out of Felix's garden, he quickly slipped his hand into Natalia's. Natalia chuckled, a light blush making its way onto her cheeks.

"You don't have to walk me home Jake. I don't live far."

Jake scoffed.

"I know, but I wanted to. You don't mind, do you?"

Natalia quickly shook her head.

"No, of course not. It means we can talk more." She said as she turned, gently pulling Jake along with her.

"Yeah. What do you think? I mean about the whole magic thing. You don't think we're crazy, do you?"

"No, I'd never think that. I think it's strange and scary. Like, this could get you killed, but then it's kinda cool that you've got magic."

"Yeah. It is more dangerous, but we can use magic to protect us."

"I suppose. Do you like it? Do you wish you didn't have it?"

"I don't know. I think it would be easier if I didn't have it, but I've changed since then. Before we got lost, I would have used them for my own gain, to be more popular, to get attention. But now, I'm happy with what I've got. My magic is just kind of something I'm having to get used to, whether I like it or not."

Natalia nodded, showing her understanding.

"But I wouldn't say that I wish I didn't have it as such. It made me a better person, not just in the way I treat people, but it opened my mind and made me rethink about what's important to me. I might not have wanted it, but I wouldn't get rid of it now."

Natalia chuckled.

"Yeah I get that. When I first came to Bremin, I hated it. I didn't want to come here. But then I met you and I decided to make the most of it, even if I didn't originally want it."

Jake laughed.

"I'm glad I made you change your mind."

As a comfortable silence fell over the pair, they turned into a familiar street.

"Well, this is me. Thank you for walking me home Jake. It was nice to spend some time with you."

Jake smiled.

"It's my pleasure. I've enjoyed it."

"I'll see you tomorrow."

She leaned in and allowed her lips to press against his cheek. As Natalia pulled away and turned to leave, their hands slipped from each other's grasp. Jake watched her as she left, a smile growing on his face as he felt the spot where her lips had touched. He was falling hard for her, and he could feel it.