Chapter 9

Sam turned, going back the way he came, leading the group into the forest. Jake was forcing himself to hold back, to stay behind with Natalia. He desperately wanted to get the talisman back, to find Andy and have all this over with. Of course, he knew the others did too, but he wanted to spend time with Natalia. Something he couldn't do with Alice as a threat and Andy still missing.

They arrived in the forest, Sam leading them through to an altar. As they got closer, they could hear a soft voice slowly chanting. It was only when the source of the voice came into view that they realised it was Alice. Ducking down in the undergrowth, the group hid from sight, still making sure they could see what was going on.

"Elements in flux, elements unite."

Alice was chanting as Saskia held out the talisman over the altar. Sam nudged Felix, angling his body so that he could whisper to him.

"We have to do something."

Felix shook his head in reply.

"No. Alice is too dangerous; we can't risk it. She could overpower us."

"I don't care. We have to do something to help Saskia." Jake stressed.

"Dude, she's got the talisman. She's working with Alice." Sam protested, holding his hand out towards the scene.

"She's being forced to by Alice. She doesn't actually want to do this, it's against her will."

"You know that for sure?" Ellen shot back; her tone sharp with frustration.

As Alice continued the spell, the ground began to tremble. It was small at first; tiny tremors that were unnoticeable. Gradually, however, they built up, causing the ground to shake violently and Alice to lose her concentration slightly.

"Jake, calm down." Felix urged.

Jake ignored him, instead increasing the intensity of the quaking. Alice was thrown to the ground, her chanting broken off. She recovered quickly, standing up and catching sight of Jake. Glancing back at Saskia, she motioned to the talisman.

"Take it, run." She instructed.

Saskia grabbed the talisman as Jake called out to her.

"Saskia, don't"

Lunging forward, Jake followed Saskia through the forest.

"Make Saskia bring the talisman back. Now." Felix ordered; his voice authoritative.

Silently, Alice raised her hand, waving it through the air as a thick fog began to form.

"Wait," Natalia shouted.

For a moment, Alice hesitated.

"How did Saskia get the talisman? Felix gave it to you."

Alice resumed creating the fog, talking all the while.

"Isn't it obvious? Saskia was never your friend. I ordered her to get close to you, to study you and the talisman. After you gave me the talisman, I gave it to her. She checked it was the real one and brought it back to me. For what I have planned, I couldn't afford to be given anything but the real talisman."

As the fog got thicker, it was becoming hard to see. With a rapidly decreasing field of visibility, everyone was edging closer to each other in an attempt to keep safe.

"Dude, what is going on?" Sam asked, his question hanging unanswered in the air.

Just before she vanished completely from sight, Alice left them with one final warning.

"Saskia has a job to do."

"I can't see anything. How are we going to find her now?" Natalia quizzed, fear creeping in every second.