Chapter 6

Natalia woke with a start. Panic started to settle in as she found herself in an unfamiliar room. Pulling the blanket that was draped over her aside, she groaned softly as she sat up. A hand flew to her head as she did so, massaging her temple, trying to stop the throbbing in her skull. She felt the sofa beside her sink as someone sat next to her. Allowing her eyes to open, she took in the new presence beside her. Jake flashed her a sympathetic smile as she looked at him.

"Hey Talia." He whispered softly.

"What happened? Where are we?" Her voice was faint, croaky, but understandable.

"You were attacked. You remember me telling you about the restoring demon that was after us in the alternate universe?"

Natalia nodded her head as much as she could, despite the throbbing.

"We don't know why, but it followed us here, to our world. It disguised itself as a dog and attacked you. I brought you here, to Felix's house. You're safe now, it's ok." Jake said, reaching out to stroke her hand; a comforting motion that brought a small smile to Natalia's face.

"Why did it attack me though? What did I do?"

Jake shook his head.

"You have magic." A voice piped up.

Natalia snapped her head up towards Felix, the throbbing in her skull starting to subside.

"What do you mean I have magic? I can't have magic, I've never..."

"I don't know how you have it, but you do. Maybe you were born with it, I don't know. But you have magic, and I think that's why you were attacked."

"What element am I then? You told me you all have different elemental magic, so what am I?"

Felix sighed in frustration.

"I don't know. You have more power than any of us. Even now, when you're not using it, I can feel it flooding off you."

Felix opened his mouth to say more, but Natalia cut him off.

"Wait, what do you mean 'when I'm not using it'? I didn't even know I had magic, so how could I have been using it?"

Sitting down in the chair in front of her, Felix looked at her.

"We were doing a spell while you were unconscious. I'd found one that might help us get Andy back and we were trying it out. It was too powerful, there was a lot more energy going into than there should have been. You had a blue glow surrounding you. Your magic was affecting the spell, making it more intense. I know you weren't conscious, so I know it wasn't your fault. Even so, your magic was affecting the spell. I could try find out what element you are. I've never tried it before, so I don't know how well it would work. I know a spell that can help determine what kind of element you are. There are a lot of things that factor into what element you are; personality being one of them, and this spell helps narrow it down."

Natalia nodded.

"I want to try it. Even if it's risky, or it might not work, I still wanna try. I want to at least attempt to understand why I got attacked."

Jake smiled, squeezing her hand.

"You'll be fine. I'll make sure nothing happens to you."

"So, what happens now?" Ellen asked.

Natalia glanced over to her and Sam, surprised that they were there. She had been so caught up with what Felix had told her that she didn't realise they were there. Standing up, Felix moved over to the table beside Sam and grabbed his book. He returned to his seat, gesturing for the others to gather around him. Jake and Natalia stayed on the sofa, whilst Ellen and Sam took their place on the floor, one on either side of Felix.