IV. A Murderer's March to the Scaffold

Darkness. Darkness everywhere. That was all that Mordecai can see now. He can't remember what happened before he blacked out. As he regains his consciousness, he can hear voices. Murmurs and shouts alike. He tried to reach his face, but upon his hand reaching his face, he soon realized there was a sack over his head, explaining the constant darkness. All of a sudden, the bag was lifted, and what he saw confused and scared him. Two guards were standing by along with others besides him. In front of them was a panel of judges, in wigs and uniform. Next to them, was a jury of peers. He realized what is going on. He is on trial, a convict among many. Mordecai was trying real hard to figure out why he is being charged as a criminal. He looks around the court trying to find familiar faces, and fortunately for him, there were. his colleagues like Tamaki Suoh and Bartholomew Simpson from the college, but he sees Naofumi Iwatani from the coffeehouse. He sees Jellal Fernandes, the town apothecary (whose lover he accidentally bumped into two nights ago), and Richard Watterson the town fool. All good people from town, facing in front of judges of law.

Mordecai has no idea what's going on, or why all six of them are in chains. But before he could ask further questions, a gavel banging silences the crowd of onlookers. Upon the benches were three judges, one of them was so familiar to him. It had to be Seymour Skinner, the dean of the university.

"Order in the name of the Citizen's Revolutionary Court of Justice!" shouts Skinner, and immediately, thoughts rushed through Mordecai's mind. The revolution in Paris actually succeeded in replacing the monarchy? It was the biggest fear of many, another revolutionary-anarchical government willing to see heads fly for not complying with their government and laws.

"These six men are charged with treason against the state, with the many crimes they have committed. The reputation of France, as a free sovereign power is at-"

"Wait a minute!" Mordecai shouts in confusion. "why am I here? I do not understand! What is going on?" Judge Skinner clicks his tongue in disappointment.

"Typical Mordecai. I knew that you were such a troublemaker even in your classes. Trying to cause a stir in the court, are we? Pathetic". The courtroom murmurs at the supposing disobedience of Mordecai, and Tamaki whispers something into his ear.

"Listen Mordecai, it's best that you keep silent and obey the judges. Well, not like that would matter anyway. We're all being sent to death after all". The somber tone of Tamaki's voice when he said that didn't make the situation any better for Mordecai. He has to now kneel down in chains as his name gets dragged through the floor of the court. Skinner looks upon his comrade Francis Bonnifoy.

"Citizen Francis, please read to these traitors what they are accused of". Francis stands up with a long list.

"Citizen Tamaki Suoh. You are accused of holding money in your family coffers, Citizen Bulma and Citizen Vegeta have testified.

Citizen Jellal Fernandes, You are accused of poisoning the town with your "witchcraft" and anarchical ideas. Citizens Millianna Necconyaan and Shou Roberts have testified.

Citizen Naofumi Iwatani, you are accused of assault of fairer sex. Citizen Malty Melromarc has testified, and might I add, in a most traumatized manner.

Citizen Bartholomew Simpson, you are accused of cheating, conning, and lying to the people. Citizen Moe Syzlack and Citizen Peter Griffin have testified.

Citizen Richard Watterson, you are accused of sloth and overall stupidity. Your wife, Citizen Nicole Watterson has testified". Citizen Francis finishes his roll call of shame, and Skinner looks at Mordecai straight in the eyes.

And Citizen Mordecai B. Jay. Oh, how very disappointing". Mordecai begins hyperventilating. What sort of crime has he done to deserve this fate? He was going to find out.