Chapter-2 #Rewritten

Bhaiya: Brother

***

Hawwa gasped as her heart stung. She got reminded of her father, Lt: Colonel Kashim's funeral. He had been wrapped up in a kaffan cloth lying lifeless on the floor of their ancestral home in Chittagong. 

"Be optimistic Dadima!" Hawwa encouraged, wiping the image from her head. She didn't want to lose Khadija to cancer. Hawwa never witnessed her mother's funeral. Because she died at childbirth. Thus, Hawwa was raised by Kashim and Khadija since birth. After Kashim's death, Hawwa and Khadija moved in with Kabir's family. 

"People survive cancer Amma." Kabir's face softened as he leaned forward to take Khadija's hands into his. He gripped them. 

"People also don't. So, I want to play safe. Besides Hawwa is willing to marry. So, there's no problem."

"It's too early for her to get married."

"If it's about her studies she can manage. There are men who are supportive of their wives university education. We can get her married to one of those."

"I-I have someone in my mind." Hawwa confessed in barely a whisper.

"Who?" Kabir's eyes narrowed. Ruponti and Khadija also turned to her, their eyes demanding.

"I wanted to speak about him before when Dadima approached you about my wish to get married." Hawwa crossed her arms. "He is..." Hawwa's throat went dry. "...we are not in a relationship. I haven't told him that I want to marry him." Hawwa quickly added. "He is Qibriyah bhaiya." She finally revealed lowering her voice.

"Qibriyah!" She closed her eyes at Kabir's exclamation. Then mustering the courage, she slowly opened her eyes the next moment to see six pairs of widened eyes staring at her. Kabir was sitting straight, his hands resting on his knees. 

"He doesn't want to remarry." Khadija commented.

"He is a widower. You are an unmarried virgin girl. Don't settle for less by marrying him." Ruponti shook her head.

"Chachi I won't be settling for less." Hawwa protested, her heart constricting in disappointment at Ruponti for her words. 

"I agree with your Chachi. I don't want you to marry him."

"Chachu please. Being a widower doesn't mean he wasn't good in his marriage and he also doesn't have kids."

"No! We live in a society Hawwa. And the society talks. I don't want the society to make fun of our family." Then Kabir turned to Khadija who seemed to be deep in thoughts with lines on her forehead. "Amma, I am sorry but Hawwa is not getting married this year."

"Chachu." Hawwa whined.

"She is and to Qibriyah." Hearing Khadija's determined voice Hawwa's eyes widened. They travelled past Kabir to see Khadija staring at Kabir. "Him being a widower is a small matter now." Sighing in frustration Kabir looked away for a moment.

"Chachu please agree!" Hawwa pleaded. Kabir raised a hand to dismiss her.

"It's one thing to get her married now. But to Qibriyah who is like a son to you? That's odd." Kabir then raised his voice as he chided Khadija. "Are you even looking out for her wellbeing? You haven't lost your rationality to cancer."

"Being like a son is not the same as being a real son. If you two can't accept him, then I will accept the sole responsibility of getting her married to him." 

"Fine. I won't take any responsibility for Hawwa's marriage and attend Hawwa's wedding if she marries Qibriyah." Kabir's cold words stung Hawwa's heart. Her jaw widened. "Don't forget this marriage hasn't been fixed yet. You still need Qibriyah's approval." 

"But Chachu-"

"Hawwa no!" Kabir silenced her firmly. A look of pain flashed through her face as Kabir stomped his way out of the room.

Would her father done the same?

"Chachi?" Turning to Ruponti, Hawwa asked with her strained voice. Ruponti fidgeted with her fingers before replying.

"I am with your Chachu...I am sorry." Her fair skinned face was washed with guilt.

"You won't attend...my wedding too?"

"I...I don't know." Ruponti's face scrunched in confusion.

"Hawwa, you have me. I have enough money to arrange your wedding. It will be simple but it doesn't matter." Hawwa heard Khadija's voice. But her eyes didn't travel to glance at her grandmother. Rather her eyes wandered to the floor. Her shoulders slumped.

"It's not about the money." She shook her head. "I want all of you at my wedding." She announced defeated. Her eyes caught Ruponti's feet making their way out of the room. Standing up Khadija walked to Hawwa and wrapped her arms around her.

"We can't please everyone. Don't feel embarrassed at what you want. It's not a sin." Khadija consoled while running her hands on Hawwa's head. "I am going to call Qibriyah to confirm if he will visit tomorrow. Continue with your notes writing." Pulling her hands from Hawwa, Khadija stepped back. Nodding Hawwa shifted her eyes to her note copy.