This Is Us

"He's not working today. What are you planning to do?" Melinda asked.

"I don't know," I muttered. "I wanted to do something without him today. It feels like yesterday we met with his therapist and discussed what needs to be done."

"You haven't done anything with him since you started dating. I think it's time you both started learning things about each other. You guys don't know each other like you think you do. You're not twelve anymore."

"We don't?"

Melinda rolled her eyes and closed her book. The look she was giving me said she'd murder me. I wasn't being ignorant, I just didn't care. Who would want to know anything about Roberto? He was literally the definition of annoying and arrogant. If he wasn't prancing around as Hugo, then he was clinging to me. I feel like we've already spent too much time together.

"You've been dating for a month and you act like his mental health isn't important. When you ignore someone, how do you think it makes them feel? Roberto isn't going to keep being this way for long. We ignored him when he needed us most, and look what happened."

"But--"

"I bet you don't even remember what his favorite thing to do is. I doubt he knows that you hate physical contact."

Why does she always have to be right? She left me alone to think about what she'd said. Of all the days he had to be off from work, it had to be today. I wanted to ignore him for as long as I could until there was a sure change in him that I could see. His sudden change in demeanor isn't enough for me. It'll never be enough.

The front door opened and closed. I sat up and clicked on the TV. At least I can pretend I'm actually enjoying the free time I have here. Roberto came around the corner with the biggest smile on his face. I chose to ignore him and began flipping through the channels. There had to be something interesting to watch. Something that would keep him quiet while I try to figure out how else I can ignore him.

"Bébé, devine quoi?"

"Quelle?"

"Tu te souviens de notre place dans les bois?"

"Yes. What about it?"

Roberto snatched the remote from me and turned off the TV. I sucked my teeth and reluctantly gave him my undivided attention. What did he want now? What is it about the woods we used to hang out in as kids?

"I was out there last week and I realized there's a lot we've been missing out there. Nature is a beautiful thing. Let's go before you talk me out of it and the weather gets cold." Roberto tugged me out of my seat and began dragging me towards the back door. I couldn't get out of this.

"The weather's warm today. I thought we could also share a couple of beers, too."

"...Dude, I'm like 17," I reminded him. "I'm not even legal to drink here. Plus, I don't like beer."

"You are. The legal drinking age is 16 if you ever bothered to look that up or not."

No, I hadn't, because I didn't think I'd be drinking until I was 20. Maybe a little bit older. The sun blinded me as we walked outside. Roberto continued to drag me to the edge of the property. The trees swayed slightly in the small breeze. We stood in silence for a few minutes, memories of our childhood flooding back into my head. I sighed.

"On y va?" Roberto looked at me with excitement in his eyes. I sighed once more and nodded. He began walking into the woods, holding my hand like he was afraid I wouldn't come along. If he hadn't been holding my hand, then, yes, I wouldn't have come along. He's being weird and I don't like it.